Filed under Showcase, The Arts

Logan Paul: Most Hated Man in America?

Youtube Personality is in Deep Waters

tubefilter.com
tubefilter.com

tubefilter.com

tubefiltersam

tubefiltersam

tubefilter.com

Logan Paul was just like anyone else. Born in Westlake, Ohio, Paul attended Westlake High School and dominated in the sports Wrestling and Football. He went on to attend Ohio University, where he majored in Industrial Engineering.  This is where Paul started to use the video sharing service, Vine, where he was known for his six-second pranks and comedic timing. Suddenly, Paul grew a huge following and was earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in advertising revenue. After Vine was taken off the App Store, Paul started being active on apps such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube. By February 14, Paul had over 3.1 million followers across social media platforms, and by January 10, 2018 his Youtube account had over 15.7 million subscribers.

Logan Paul as a young child, doing a prank call video

At 22 years old, Paul bought his first house for 6.5 million dollars after his Youtube channel, “Logan Paul Vlogs,” was the fastest to hit 10 million subscribers in the history of Youtube. According to Forbes Magazine, Paul made roughly $12.5 million in 2017. He was soaking in his fame and fortune, where he called his gigantic fan base consisting of pre-teens, the “logang.”

Paul was soon starring in the Youtube Red original web series’ Foursome and Logan Paul Vs., as well as portraying bit character roles in films such as Baywatch and The Space Between Us.

Logan Paul and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson on the set of the hit film, Baywatch.

This was all too good to be true for the 22 year old millionaire.

On December 31, 2017, Paul uploaded a vlog to “Logan Paul Vlogs” which showed him in Aokigahara at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan, which is known by many as a “suicide forest” due to the high amount of suicides by people taken place in this forest. Paul stupidly filmed the recently deceased corpse of a man who had committed suicide by hanging. Paul blurred the man’s face, but the body could be clearly seen.  While Paul is shocked in the video, he inappropriately makes several jokes and can not stop laughing throughout the rest of the video.

Paul’s immediate reaction to the dead body

Days after the video was posted, a change.org petition earned more than 530,000 signatures from people who were urging Youtube to remove Paul’s account from Youtube as a whole.

Senior Wally Mason said, “I signed that petition. What Logan Paul did was just plain idiotic and he doesn’t deserve all his fame and fortune.”

Paul issued two apologies, but most people did not think they were genuine. He said that he faced a “monsoon of negativity” and that his intent with the video had been to “raise awareness for suicide and suicide prevention.” He goes on to say how he didn’t post the video for views, and that he made a severe lapse in judgement.

Logan Paul in tears when giving an apology

Sophie Turner, who plays Sansa Stark on Game of the Thrones, stated on Twitter, “You’re an idiot. You’re not raising awareness. You’re mocking. I can’t believe how self praising your “apology” is. You don’t deserve the success you have. I pray to God you never have to experience anything like that man did.”

Aaron Paul, who played Jesse Pinkman on Breaking Bad, targeted Paul on Twitter stating, “How dare you! You disgust me. I can’t believe that so many young people look up to you. So sad. Hopefully this latest video woke them up. You are pure trash. Plain and simple. Suicide is not a joke. Go rot in hell.”

© Twitter
Logan Paul’s second apology, via Twitter

YouTube has since put out a statement, which stated that in the future they will do a better job to immediately remove content like Paul’s video, and now they are further aware that the actions of one creator can affect an entire community.

As a result, Youtube has reduced its backing of Logan Paul, and fired him from the upcoming season of his Youtube Red comedy series Foursome. Paul’s videos will now no longer come up in the “Google Preferred” tab, which is Youtube’s preferred ad program, and the sequel to his film The Thinning has been put on hold.

Paul had been laying low until he was seen at LAX by reporters from TMZ. When asked if he had been treated fairly, he replied that “everyone deserves second chances.”

Senior Dom Vitiello said, “This guy doesn’t deserve a second chance. He needs to just retire.”

Soon enough, Paul made his return on Youtube. On January 24th, Paul uploaded a video to “Logan Paul Vlogs” which revealed him interviewing Golden Gate Bridge jumper (and survivor) Kevin Hines, and National Suicide Prevention Lifeline director Dr. John Draper. Paul claimed that he had donated one million dollars to suicide prevention agencies, with a quarter of the proceeds going to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/

While immediately after Paul uploaded his disgusting video, he was surely one of the most hated men in America, it seems that slowly Paul will be able to get his feet back on the ground. He has an intense fan base and a lot of support, so Logan Paul will definitely not be departing from the Youtube scene.

1 Comment

One Response to “Logan Paul: Most Hated Man in America?”

1. Finn McSweeney on January 24th, 2018 6:40 pm

I despise this man

[Reply]

• Logan Paul: Most Hated Man in America?

A Year in Review: Favorite Moments in the Classroom

Uncategorized

Biggest Rap Moments of the Garnet Mine Year

Basketball

Cavs-Warriors Round 4 Update

Finding The Bright Side In This Year’s News

School

The Garnet Mine Year in Review

Football

NFL Approves New Anthem Rule

Student Life

The Best Article’s Produced by The Seniors

News Satire

Beautiful Family of Elephants Migrates to Rye Beach

Opinion

The Fight for Gun Control Part 2

Fall Sports

Top 5 Sports Moments Of The Rye High School School Year

Logan Paul: Most Hated Man in America?