Filed under Opinion

How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Surviving the cold 101

A person walks in the snow on King Street in Charleston, S.C., Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018. A brutal winter storm smacked the coastal Southeast with a rare blast of snow and ice Wednesday, hitting parts of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina with their heaviest snowfall in nearly three decades. (Matthew Fortner/The Post And Courier via AP)

AP

AP

2018 has just started, but it’s already setting records. Cold records.

From Texas to Vermont, states all across America are experiencing record-breaking cold weather, which finally seems to be ending after two horrible weeks. According to a tweet from the National Weather Service, “Arctic air mass will bring a prolonged period of much below normal temperatures and dangerously cold wind chills to the central and eastern U.S. over the next week.” In New York City, temperatures got down to the single digits on New Year’s Eve, but that didn’t stop over a million people from watching the ball drop in Times Square. In some states, like Minnesota and Maine, temperatures have been below zero degrees for the last week. Parts of Florida have been around 50 degrees in the last few weeks, a big difference from the normal 70 degree weather.

Niagara Falls freezes as most of US faces extreme cold. Photo from The Sacramento Bee.

Cold weather, as uncomfortable as it is, can also be very dangerous. Here are some ways to protect yourself in the cold.

1. Wear warm layers. This may seem very obvious, but it’s also very important. When going outside, you should wear a heavy coat zippered up. A jacket that’s unbuttoned is no good because it lets all the cold in. I also recommend a hat and gloves because they add extra warmth. Don’t be that kid who wears shorts in 20 degree weather. It doesn’t look cool or anything, it’s just plain stupid.
  2. Cough and cold prevention. Cold weather is also a breeding ground for sickness. As someone who has been sick on three separate occasions since November, I’m telling you that this year seems to be an especially bad sick year. There are a few things to do to prevent yourself from getting sick or relieve your symptoms if you already are sick. First off, drink a ton of water! It’s important to drink a lot of fluids to prevent dehydration. Another simple thing that’ll help you feel better is getting a lot of sleep. Studies have shown that getting more sleep helps people fight off diseases and infections. For people who already are sick, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze! It’s really easy and it prevents other people from being exposed to your germs.
  3. Get your flu shot. Not only does cold weather make it easier to get a standard cough, it can also lead to more serious illnesses, such as the flu. While the flu shot may not be exactly protective, it is still a good thing to get. The flu vaccine might not protect you entirely, but it will “reduce your risk of getting sick,” according to the CDC. It’s better to be safe than sorry in a year with such a vicious flu (46 states reported “widespread flu” in December 2017!)
  4. Be smart in the snow. Going sledding with friends and playing outside in the snow may be fun for some people, but it also comes with risks, so you should make sure no skin is exposed. Being outside in the cold can be very dangerous as it only takes around 30 minutes to get frostbite in cold conditions. I personally would rather stay inside in the warmth and bake cookies or watch movies, but whatever floats your boat. If you decide to go outside, make sure you are smart about how you’re dressed to prevent getting sick.

These are just a few tips to help minimize the cold and make the harshest season slightly more tolerable. For my fellow cold weather haters, only 43 days until spring! As sophomore Ella Brady said, “Spring can’t come soon enough!”

1 Comment

One Response to “How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold”

1. adviser on January 9th, 2018 9:43 am

Ah weather. I love cold winters, hot summers, cool falls. The joys of living in the Northeast!

[Reply]

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

Trouble in the Temp Lot

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

Violence in Today’s Society: Movies About War

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

The Problems With Comey’s New book

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

March For Our Lives: NYC

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

Good Grades At What Cost?

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

Ranking the Rye High School Cafeteria’s Grill Options

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

The media’s complicity in the Russian scam

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

The Fight For Gun Control

• How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Opinion

The State of our Union is… Divided

• Opinion

Top 5 Yachts

How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold