Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

The Yankees add the reigning NL MVP

(photo via Sports Illustrated)

(photo via Sports Illustrated)

(photo via Sports Illustrated)

Tommy Monaghan, Editor

The New York Yankees and the Miami Marlins have agreed to a deal that will send the reigning National League MVP and home run leader Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees. Although the trade isn’t official until Stanton agrees to the terms in his no trade clause and passes a physical, it will almost certainly happen. The Yankees will send star second baseman Starlin Castro and prospects Jorge Guzman and Jose Devers in exchange for Stanton and 30 million dollars. Trading a reigning MVP is incredibly rare, and it has only happened twice in MLB history. In 2004, the Rangers traded MVP Alex Rodriguez to the Yankees, and way back in 1914, when the Philadelphia A’s sent Eddie Collins to the White Sox for $50,000.

Giancarlo Stanton set Marlins records in HRs, RBIs, extra base hits, and slugging percentage last season. (photo via LA Crosse Tribune)

Stanton led the MLB in home runs (59), RBIs (132), extra base hits (91), and slugging percentage (.631) last season. 59 home runs were the most by any player since Barry Bonds hit 73 in 2001.

To get Stanton the Yankees did have to give up young second baseman Starlin Castro, an all star last year, along with two prospects. These two prospects aren’t exceptionally great, however, and Stanton holds much greater value than Castro, so this trade does seem to favor the Yankee’s side. Yankees fan Sloan Martin said “the best thing about the trade is that the Yankees managed to keep most of their young players.” Young stars Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Didi Gregorious, and even Greg Bird remain. Also, young infielders Ronald Torreyes and Gleyber Torres, young pitchers Justus Sheffield and Chance Adams, and young outfielder Clint Frazier remain.

The Yankees offense will be hard to pitch against this year. After Brett Gardner leads off, some order of Stanton, Judge, Sanchez, Didi, and Bird — 5 of the best hitters in the MLB — will bat. They still have one of the best bullpens in the MLB. Their largest weakness is their starting pitching, but Luis Severino, Masahiro Tanaka, Sonny Gray, and Jordan Montgomery are all young pitchers that should take another step this year, and if the Yankees can get Michael Fulmer from the Tigers, then their pitching is definitely good enough to make a deep playoff run. The Dodgers are still favored to win the World Series next year, but the Yankees have crept up right behind them. If the Yankees can take another step next year, then they have a great chance to win their 28th World Series. Red Sox fan Thomas Flaherty said “this trade won’t change anything, the Yankees are going to lose in the Wild Card game.” John Goldszer disagrees, he said that “the Yankees were a game away from the World Series last year, now that they’re older and better there is no way that they don’t sweep the Dodgers in the World Series.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees”

1. adviser on December 13th, 2017 10:09 am

Sometimes when hitters switch leagues it takes a little while to get going since they are seeing new pitchers, but I would expect Stanton to have another insane second half next year. Hopefully the locals will be patient with him out of the gate.

• Baseball

Game 4 Yankees vs Red Sox

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

More Walkoff Magic for the Red Hot Yanks

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

Yankees Ready to Take Another Shot at the Astros

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

How Much Can Shohei Ohtani Play?

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

Yankees-Red Sox Brawl

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

Top 10 Moments Of The 2017 MLB Post-Season-Photo Essay

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

Yankees part ways with Joe Girardi

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

The Case for Aaron Judge as AL MVP

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

Yankees Headed to Houston

• Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Baseball

Tanaka is terrible

Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees