Carl Friedrich-Athlete of the Week

Isabelle Castro, Editor

This week’s athlete of the week is boy’s soccer captain, Carl Friedrich. This was not Carl’s first year being a captain for the team. Carl was named a captain during his junior and senior year.  Recently, he helped his team with 3 assists over their 4-2 win over Pelham. They lost to Pelham HS earlier in the season, but the recent win sparked a change in momentum for their season. Pelham is starting to become a rival for their soccer team and Friedrich added their “always a physically challenging opponent”.

Starting off young, Carl walked onto the varsity team his freshman year. Immediately he was named rookie of the year and tied for most playing time on the team as a freshman. A year later he was named All-league. His junior year he was an All-Section Honorable Mention and his team voted him MVP. Carl was just honored with All-Section to top of his high school soccer career at Rye.

Carl turned down his academy offer from Beachside Soccer Club to play for Rye High School but he will play for New York Soccer Club this spring. Friedrich, led the team in assists which shows his true “playmaking” ability. Friedrich noted, “much of our success came from creative team play with a wide variety of talent and age”. He is verbally committed to Franklin and Marshall College to pursue his interest in soccer.