Las Vegas, Nevada Shooting

The deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Las Vegas, Nevada- On Sunday night, Stephen Paddock 64, opened fire on a crowd at an outdoor country music festival leaving fifty eight dead and hundreds more wounded.  Paddock, a retired accountant, locked himself inside a suite at the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas along with twenty three guns, loads of ammunition, and a “bump stock” firing modification. At approximately 10:08 pm Stephen Paddock fired thousands of rounds of ammunition from a hotel window into the crowd attending the Route 91 Harvest music festival. The concert venue was 500 yards away from the hotel, but Paddock was able to reach his targets since he had access to rifles equipped with “bump stocks”, holograph scopes, and forward grips. Paddock had meticulously planned out this massacre for quite some time, and he even set up surveillance cameras inside and outside his suite to scan for any  law enforcement and film himself. By the time law enforcement was able to locate Paddock’s hotel room, he had died from a self-inflicted gun wound. It is still unclear what his motive was, but developing news has stated that Paddock also purchased hotel rooms overlooking the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago in August.

Peter Ackerman, a senior who attended Lollapalooza this summer, said, “I am so fortunate that he did not end up traveling to Chicago for the festival. This man is incredibly screwed up in the head and wanted to watch people die.”

Senior Michael Bauso, who feels strongly about this shooting, said “Nobody in this country needs to own a firearm that is capable of causing so much destruction in such a short amount of time.”

Now, the debate is over whether or not bump-stock devices- the modification that turns semi-automatic weapons into fully auto weapons- should be banned after the shooting. In response to the shooting, Senate Democrats introduced a bill to ban bump fire stocks. Proponents of the bill argue that, “Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

Handguns are evidently a protected gun. Supreme Court did not want individuals to have ownership of guns such as machine guns, short barreled shotguns etc.. Somehow, the man responsible for the deadliest shooting in American history, was able to acquire the exact type of weapons Supreme Court attempted to ban. Going forward, Congress must pass a bill that prohibits the sale of bump-stock firing devices and everyone must be subject to rigorous background checks before they purchase a fire arm.