Chance the Rapper 9/26

Concert at Forest Hills

At 24, Chance the Rapper has already changed the course of modern day rap. His most recent mixtape, Coloring Book, was the first stream-only album to win three Grammies. Featuring artists from Kanye West to Justin Bieber, Chance’s music is a refreshing reminder of why music is so sacred. However, this is most likely known by most students at Rye High School, as Chance’s music is widely popular among lovers of all genres, from hip-hop to gospel to EDM to rap.    

This Tuesday, we (Ella and Alaire) went to Chance’s Forest Hills stop of his Be Encouraged Tour. As we arrived at our seats, full of anticipation, Chance made a quick appearance riding a motor bike across the stage, before retreating until after the opening acts. Francis and the Lights opened the show with a few of his EDM hits, including May I Have This Dance, Friends, and See Her Out. His unique voice and energetic dancing caught the attention of the audience members as they filed into the stadium.  Next, DJ Oreo took the stage, playing throwback and modern day hits based on twitter requests from the audience, which got the whole crowd pumped up and ready for Chance. Finally, the waiting was over, Chance was about to take the stage.

The lights shut off. The crowd roared. Chance began with his hit “Mixtape” and fireworks erupted with the beat drop. He then continued with one of his more mellow, but powerful, songs, Blessings. The crowd went wild with one of his more popular songs, Angels. Every single person was screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs to the upbeat hit.  After a few more, Chance moved on to the classic Sunday Candy, which is a favorite of all his “real fans,” those who know of Donnie Trumpet’s album Surf. The performance of D.R.A.M. Sings Special by the Social Experiment was surprisingly moving, even though it is an outlier on the album, not featuring any rap. Chance then covered DJ

It was Chance’s new song, however, that stunned the crowd. Called “First World Problems,” this song strikes a chord with everyone who hears it, with heartfelt lyrics that touch on Chance’s personal struggle as a father, as well as the end of the American dream. Chance’s performance was raw and emotional; the crowd went silent as they strained to hear the intimate lyrics for the first time.  It was hard to hold back tears while such a beautiful man, inside and out, sang such a beautiful song.

Chance finished out the show with Same Drugs and Blessings(reprise), which are also fan favorites for their heartfelt lyrics. Chance was in awe of the crowd’s size and beamed with pride at this milestone in his career. His Be Encouraged tour truly lived up to its name; every member of the crowd walked out of the stadium with a new sense of encouragement.