Future Plans for the Environmental Awarness Club

Detox Day

Families being ripped apart by technology (www.dailymail.com)

As most of you are aware, the environmental awareness club is a new club this year in Rye High School. The purpose of this club is to motivate students into wanting to help our environment. There’s a big project coming up that involves all the students in Rye High. On March 8th (3:00 pm) to March 9th (3:00 pm), the Environmental Awareness Club is presenting Digital Detox Day. It’s a 24 hour time period in which students will be encouraged to avoid using cell phones, computers, and TVs. This day was made with the purpose of encouraging human contact and social interaction. Additionally, this period has the added benefit of heightening students’ awareness to how much electricity they use every day.

According to Times Website, “On average, people in the United States across all age groups check their phones 46 times per day. Although 46 checks per day is the average, that number varies depending on users’ age group. Those between the ages of 18 and 24 look at their phones most often, with an average of 74 checks per day. Americans in the 25-34 age bracket look at their devices 50 times per day, and those between 35 and 44 do so 35 times each day. ”

Children no longer need face-to-face conversations. (www.universityofcalifornia.com)

President Kaitlyn Rodriguez said, “I believe that this project will be a success because it’s something that will help us all. We need to interact more with others through face-to-face communication and not always hide behind a cell phone!”

Co-president Maddy Rafa said, “This is definitely something that is beneficial for us all! We want more students to know about this project and to actually be a participant!”

When asked about Detox Day junior Abby Foresman said, “Omg, I can’t wait till Detox Day! I’ve been actually helping marketing this project by telling other students about it! I’m definitely going to participate in it and encourage others to do the same!”