Rye Tennis picks up a win at Eastchester 5/10

Johnny Mambrino, Editor

With the season getting going last week Rye won their first match against Ardsley in Ardsley and lost to Harrison. The team made a statement today and got their way back into the win column taking 6 of 7 matches against Eastchester.

The underclassmen trio of  Nicolas Echlov, Matthew Templeman, and Cian Keegan were the starters for singles. Echlov faced off against the first singles player for Eastchester, Bran Kin Koutsis, who put up a fight but was not able to take down the freshman Echlov who won in a superset tie-breaker 10-6 after splitting the first two sets 6-4. Templeman started off slow against Eastchester’s Cian Perrotta losing the first set 6-1, but came back to win the second set 7-6 and also won 10-6 in a superset tiebreaker. Cian Keegan made his first appearance in the lineup at singles as he had played 2 doubles matches against Ardsley and Harrison. He came up short losing both sets 2-6 and 4-6 but after his first singles start there should be a lot of improvement.

The Junior duo of Reece Dorfman and Ryan Wyckoff bounced back from their loss at Harrison to win their doubles match in 3 sets with the 3rd set resulting in a very close 10-8 finish. Junior captain Patrick Moran and Dylan Rodilosso continue their winning ways as they took down Eastchester’s Kai Osakawa and Dillon Burke in two sets winning them 7-6 and 6-1. Ty Bibas teamed up with Lucas White after going 1-1 last week with Cian Keegan, as they dominated both sets winning 6-2 in the first and 6-3 in the second. The Senior duo of Nate Collins and Luke Burnham is currently undefeated in doubles at 3-0 heading into tomorrow’s match against Mamaroneck. Their match got delayed for a while but nonetheless, they came out on top dominating as they won the first set 6-3 and the second 6-0.

Winning 6 of 7 matches should give this team the confidence they need to go and beat a tough Mamaroneck team in Mamaroneck. Rye hasn’t seen any home matches yet but that will change on Friday when they play Horace Greeley at Disbrow Park.