NFL MOCK DRAFT – TOP 10 PICKS

Johnny Mambrino, Editor

1. Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence (QB) CLEMSON – There doesn’t need much of an explanation for this pick. The Jaguars need a QB and Trevor Lawrence is a national champion quarterback and one of the best QB prospects of all time. DONE DEAL.
  2. Jets: Zach Wilson (QB) BYU – The Jets are in the same boat as the Jaguars, as they just traded their former top 5 pick QB, Sam Darnold. Wilson is a legitimate dual-threat quarterback who is able to evade the defense and make plays outside of the pocket and with an improved Jets O-line and newly signed receivers Corey Davis and Keelan Cole and the speedy pass-catching RB, Tevin Coleman, Zach Wilson should thrive in the Big Apple.
  3. 49ers: Justin Fields (QB) OHIO STATE – Fields’ draft stock has definitely dropped a bit in the past few months but I still believe he is arguably the second-best QB in this draft class. He has proven his rushing abilities and can run like a running back with his underrated speed and strength, and every year he spent at OSU his throwing has improved immensely. He’s proved just as much as these other QB’s if not more.
  4. Falcons: Trey Lance (QB) NDSU –  One of the rawest prospects coming into the draft, as Trey Lance only played 1 game this past season due to COVID. He didn’t necessarily show out in that one-game season against Central Arkansas but he proved the year prior how special of a player he is. In his sophomore season, he threw for almost 2800 yards, 28 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and also rushed for 1100 yards and 14 rushing touchdowns. He is a young QB but if he is able to learn under Matt Ryan for a year or two I think it can have a similar effect to what Patrick Mahomes did under Alex Smith.
  5. Bengals: Penei Sewell (OT) OREGON – The only way to keep the quarterback safe and not injured is by having a great O-LINE, and the Bengals have arguably the worst O-LINE in the league, which in part led to Joe Burrow’s ACL tear. There aren’t many bright spots on the O-LINE except for Jonah Williams. Sewell has been easily the best offensive lineman prospect since the college season started. He’s arguably better than the other 4 offensive linemen taken in the top 15 in last year’s draft. Protecting Burrow should be the number one priority.
  6. Dolphins: Kyle Pitts (TE) FLORIDA – While Kyle Pitts may technically be a Tight End, he is possibly the best receiving prospect in this class. At his Florida pro day, he ran a 4.44 forty time which is not normal for a tight end. He runs as fast as most receivers, is as big and strong as most tight ends standing at 6’6 240, and he had hands like no other college receiver. He is the complete package and can line up basically anywhere.
  7. Lions: Ja’Marr Chase (WR) LSU – With their top 2 receivers gone to Free Agency, the Lions have no other choice but to take a receiver. I’ve thought for a while that Chase was the best WR in the class and he was arguably better at LSU last year than the rookie All-Pro receiver Justin Jefferson. He is only 19 years old which will give him time to reach his max potential as a number one receiver. He isn’t the fastest receiver but does everything else at an elite level. Very similarly to former Lion, Kenny Golladay, Chase was one of the best in the game at contested catches and physically beating down opposing corners. He isn’t quite as big as Golladay but he plays like he is a 6’4 beast and also isn’t easy to pry the ball away from. It’s a home run pick for a team desperate to improve at receiver.
  8. Panthers – Rashawn Slater (OT) Northwestern – The Panthers could go in many different directions with this pick, but since losing their veteran corners to free agency last year their O-LINE hasn’t been the same. After Sewell, Rashawn Slater is one of the best o-linemen in this draft class and even started all 12 games as a true freshman. He started at right tackle in his sophomore season and was third-team All Big-10, and moved back to left tackle in his junior year. What makes him such a special player is his underrated athletic ability on the line and his fundamentals as a tackle. He can do a little bit of everything when protecting the quarterback and with that, which makes him an elite prospect that can play in almost any offensive scheme
  9. Broncos – Patrick Surtain II (CB) BAMA – The Broncos have lost multiple cornerbacks in the last 2 years and although they singed Kyle Fuller and Ronald Darby, Fuller’s contract is up in a year and Surtain is one of the most athletic cornerbacks we’ve seen to come out of Alabama. He’s very experienced and has played in many big games and has not disappointed. With their already elite safety duo, adding Surtain to their secondary will make the high-powered offenses of the NFC West come into Denver with a very tough task on their hands every time they play.
  10. Cowboys – Jaycee Horn (CB) SOUTH CAROLINA – The Cowboys had easily the worst defense in the league last year, and the weakest part of the defense was the secondary. Similar to Patrick Surtain, Horn had to face SEC receivers every single week and it never fazed him at all. He is a very physical corner who likes to get up in receivers’ faces and make them feel uncomfortable. Some people think he’s the best corner in the draft which definitely warrants him a top ten selection.