COVID-19 – What we missed because of it.

Johnny Mambrino, Editor

The old way of saying, the coronavirus had us all quarantined for a while which in turn led to a lot of our favorite occurrences being canceled or postponed. A lot of these include sporting events, the releases of movies, and so much more.

March Madness is one of the most exciting events of the year in sports, especially for college basketball fans. With the upsets, the buzzer-beaters, and the cinderella runs by small schools never disappoint. Even for non-college basketball watchers, what draws people in is the filling out of brackets in order to get the quintessential impossible perfect bracket. The NCAA tournament was canceled on March 12th, 2020 just three days before Selection Sunday, where the NCAA committee would announce the entire bracket. It was the first time the tournament wasn’t being held since the first tournament in 1939.

The NBA season was also cut short on March 11th and there were two games going on a few games before that got cut short before the game even ended. A few days later it was reported that the Jazz star center, Rudy Gobert, had tested positive for COVID-19. The NBA was able to get the season back up and running a few months later but the typical 82 games per season weren’t played for each team and the playoffs were played in a bubble at Disney World’s campus. There weren’t any home-court advantages and no crazy fan interactions. It would’ve been truly a legendary moment to see LeBron James win his 4th championship at the Staples Center where so many other Lakers greats have done the same before him.

The 2020 Tokyo Olympics were said to be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020. The Olympics is undoubtedly the most-watched sporting event in the entire world. Having to wait 4 years for it is suspenseful in it itself but the fact that we have to wait even longer is frustrating and more so for the athletes all around the world who had trained for the 4 years leading up to it.

The 74th annual Tony Awards ceremony, which was scheduled to be held on June 7th at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, had also been postponed. The late-night shows had halted production, along with SNL as well. 

Those are just a few of the things that COVID took away from the general public and have left us itching for them to come back.