Will I Go to College in the Fall?

Ella Brady, Editor

As the coronavirus continues to become worse than we ever imagined, it’s left high-school seniors and college students everywhere wondering if they will be able to attend school in-person in the fall.  Depending on the severity of the virus in the fall, and every state is different, as much as it pains me to say, it really doesn’t seem like the smartest idea to bring people from all over the world to a fairly small area at once.

However, as they should, many colleges&universities around the countries have started hatching plans to ensure on-campus education in the fall.  Notre Dame, for example, is having their students move on campus two weeks earlier than originally planned, taking away all scheduled breaks, and once they leave for Thanksgiving they will not return until at least January.  Other places such as NYU, surprisingly, have stated that they plan to continue with their regular fall semester, but I assume that comes with the wearing of masks and gloves on campus.

Even if academics reopen this fall, there still remains the question of athletics.  SEC schools such as Auburn, who pride themselves on college football have said that there is no doubt they will have football in the fall.  With the way things are reopening in Georgia and many other southern states, it wouldn’t surprise me if they held a football season no matter the warnings.  However, for collegiate sports in states with higher numbers of cases that generate much less revenue than SEC football, their future is much less certain.

Unfortunately, even if colleges reopen if the fall, it doesn’t necessarily guarantee the “college experience” students are seeking.  Being in close proximity to others without masks will most likely not exist, and I would assume there will be consequences for breaking these guidelines.  Going to games or even sitting in a crowded class will be a completely different experience.

Given everything that may be different, the hope is this is all temporary and significantly better than sitting in your house all day.  I would much prefer attending my first semester of college with some rules than endure another few months stuck inside my house.  I think even with rules, it will provide students and faculty with some sense of normalcy, and I hope I don’t miss out on the end of my senior year as well as the first semester of college.