Deep Dive Part 2

Madeleine Larzul

This second part of the deep dive on the French high school system will consist of two French highschoolers who describe their typical day in high school which was of course before being quarantined. One student attends a private school in Paris, and the other student attends a public school in Loches. Next, I asked students to explain their opinions regarding the remote learning system, and on the outcomes of their exams which they answered from a google form.

The first student, Alexandra Fisher, lives in Paris where she attends a private school called école Internationale Bilingue ( EIB ) as a Première. Alexandra has different classes every day, so I will be describing her Tuesday classes. She wakes up at 6:45 am, gets ready to leave at 7:10 am. Then, Alexandra takes the bus which is a 45 minutes ride to her high school. She starts school at 8 am with earth science from 8 am until 10 am, then she has computer science from 10 am until 11 am, and science education from 11 am until 12 pm. Then, she has her lunch break from 12 pm until 1 pm, where she can choose to eat at her school cafeteria or elsewhere. In the afternoon, Alexandra has French from 1 pm until 2 pm, English literature until 3 pm, from 3 pm to 4 pm she has either another hour of English literature or math. From 4 pm until 5 pm, she has history and geography in English. From 5 pm until 6 pm, she has gym or French. At 6 pm, she finishes school to take her bus, which is often late, since it is rush hour, so she doesn’t arrive home until 8:30 pm. Once she arrives, she has dinner with her family and takes a shower. Then, she starts her homework at 10:30 pm, and finishes it at 1 am, and goes to bed.

The second student, Julie Moulins, lives in Loches, France where she attends a public school called Thérèse Planiole as a Terminale ES. She describes how her typical school day looked like before being quarantined: “ My typical school day was to wake up at 7 am, get ready for school and meet my friends at 7:40 am in front of the bus, classes start at 8 am. Then, I had recess from 9:55 am until 10:10 am, lunch from 12 pm until 1 pm, and I would walk home to have lunch. At 1 pm, I would come back to school, and I had another recess from 2:55 pm until 3:10 pm. Most days I finished at 5 pm, and I walked home. Then, I did my homework until 7 pm, did some sports for 20 minutes, and I took a shower and had dinner with my family at 7:50 pm. After that, I came back to my room and watched Netflix, called friends, and went to bed at 9 pm.”

Loches

From these two different students, you can see how lucky American students are to finish school at 3 pm, even 2 pm every day, and to be able to do extracurricular activities every day that French students aren’t able to do.

Next, I did a google forms survey for in french for French students where ten answered from Brittany, Tours, Loches, Paris, and its suburbs. I asked them what kind of remote learning system they receive, and if they are satisfied, and finally their opinions regarding the exam changes.

For remote learning depending on their schools, students have video conferences, and lessons sent by email from teachers and students complete their school work to be sent to their teachers by email or on this website called ENT. Some private schools use the app Zoom for the courses.

example of how the ENT website looks like

When I asked if they were satisfied with the education that they receive while on quarantine, one student said she hates it, three students answered that it is good, and four answered that they are very satisfied.

There were different opinions on the outcomes of their exams since students take different baccalaureate. The ministry of the French education, Jean Michel Blanquet, announced at the beginning of April that all exams will be canceled and that the average grade will be on the three semesters. The only exam that would be postponed is the French-speaking which is postponed for July. Some students explained that for those who worked well during the year, it is excellent news, but for those who didn’t do as well, and wanted to catch up with their baccalaureate grade, it is unfair since they will not be able to have the baccalaureate. Others explain that they would’ve wanted to take the exam to get ready for all the exams they will have to take next year in college. While others simply hate this news, but they understand that it was the only way, because of what is happening worldwide.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe1H5XvK8tgcRGbtBT69I_yTXFi9u-2ahqdyQplG_YpGQZssQ/viewform?usp=pp_url This was the google forms