Baseball&Softball Spring Break Trips Cancelled

Ella Brady, Editor

Two days ago, news broke of the first coronavirus case in Westchester, a 50-year old man from New Rochelle. I think it came as a shock to most people, including myself, who thought of it as some distant problem we would never have to face.

Now that it’s here, and could quickly affect others in the area, people have started to take serious precautions.  Schools in Mamaroneck, White Plains, and Mount Vernon have closed due to the threat of infection.  Many other schools in the area, including Rye, are testing out online programs in order to still have some version of school if they had to close down.  Brunswick School in Greenwich, CT is having a “test day” home from school in order to test out what their schedule would look like if they had to close down.  Parents, students, and teachers are becoming very concerned and it’s only getting more and more serious by the day.

Each year, the Rye varsity softball and baseball teams take a trip to Disney during spring break.  Only a few hours after the New Rochelle case was reported, the school made the decision to cancel all travel to Florida.  For most players, it is considered the best part of the season, and a tradition they look forward to every year.  For seniors, it’s an alternative to the Bahamas trip taken by their classmates over the break.

If it were me, Disney World is probably the last place I’d want to be during the coronavirus pandemic.  However, that doesn’t mean there isn’t lots of disappointment and confusion among players.  Gabby Beechert, a senior on the softball team, stated “It’s understandable that the school is concerned about the possibility of us getting sick in Florida or that there might be a travel ban while we’re down there, but it was still really upsetting getting the news that the trip was canceled. This was going to be my fourth year in Florida so it’s just sad that I won’t be able to experience that with my team.”

Gabby, along with most other seniors on the team, knew going into it that they would miss out on the annual senior spring break trip in order to be a member of the team, but to them the team is much more important.  Senior Amy Morrissey said, “It’s sad that we don’t get to do this tradition our senior year because we’ve been looking forward to it for so long. This is one of the highlights of the season and it won’t be the same without it.”

Spring break or no spring break, the cancellation of the trips was a wake-up call to many about how serious the coronavirus is getting.  The number of cases in New York are quickly rising, and I would be shocked more schools in the area didn’t start closing down soon.