Should We Grade Our Teachers?

Should We Grade Our Teachers?

LET STUDENTS GRADE TEACHERS

LET STUDENTS GRADE TEACHERS

LET STUDENTS GRADE TEACHERS

LET STUDENTS GRADE TEACHERS

Jake Creus, Senior Person

THIS PIECE IS NOT A REFLECTION OF THE ENTIRE RYE CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT.

Why do I always have to be the one graded? I think it’s time schools across the country implement a system where student’s can grade their teachers based on how well the teacher has done in preparing the student for the assessments. It’s only fair, since it’s the students who have been receiving grades all these years. Furthermore, the grades would serve as suggestions for what teachers can do better, which I hope is something they always strive to do. It would be a reflection on their work and with a proper rubric for students to use, could serve as a tool for teachers improvement.

Either that, or no one gets graded. Because why should this be such a one-sided thing? I can assure anyone reading this that I know plenty of students who would love the opportunity to give their teachers a grade, myself included. Consequently, I would love for teachers to have the opportunity to see how they’ve been doing and adjust their teaching methods accordingly. After all, that’s what we have to do. Such a simple yet genius concept, it baffles me that we don’t do this yet. If it’s not the students assessing the teachers than who is it? And why them? Are they the ones being taught or are we? And while test-scores may serve as a decent indicator for how a teacher is doing, there is no better indicator than those who have experienced the teachers methods and have been tested.

I’ll set the tone by giving Mr.Baker an A+. He’s an outstanding educator who makes the classroom a stress-free learning environment.