What do People Think about John Mulaney’s Sack Lunch Bunch?

Sydney Gager, Editor

I’m interested in what people have to say about John Mulaney’s new special. Personally, I enjoyed some of the songs, but overall it was disjointed and odd. Am I missing the nostalgia factor? Is there something humorous I’m missing out on?

If you’re one of the people who haven’t seen it yet, feel free to use the opinions of others as a gauge of whether or not you should watch it. 

RHS Senior:

Overall I think I have to say I liked it, but I think that’s more from following John Mulaney’s instagram and seeing how proud he is. I don’t really know what I’m missing because it didn’t make sense to me, but the kids were cute and talented and I enjoyed most of the songs (but wished they’d been tied together somehow). My favorite of those songs was “Plain Noodles with Butter” because it was a surprisingly accurate song about being a picky eater with a synchronized noodle dance (talk about talent!). As a die hard John Mulaney fan, I feel I have to support him. But I don’t think I’ve seen anything formatted like this and I’m not sure I want to again. I really hope John Mulaney returns to stand up because that’s where he really shines. 

RHS Freshman:

I liked it. I liked the greatest fear thing–it was funny, especially the ones that were way too in-depth and specific. I’m not sure who the audience is supposed to be, so no I have not seen anything similar to it. I like his standup better, but I wouldn’t mind something similar to this again. 

RHS Alum:

No I did not like it. I think I only lasted about five minutes before I got bored. His last few things on Netflix have been very funny and entertaining so it was disappointing that this seemed so bland and boring. This feels very different from his previous works. I hope he goes back to stand up or at least comes back with something funny. I don’t necessarily think it’s fair to say he needs to go back to stand up. If it’s funny, it’s funny. No need for it to be in a specific structure.

RHS Teacher:

I liked that I went into it with zero expectations. I think that because I didn’t know what to expect, I was so delightfully confused at first that it was enjoyable and I never knew what was going to happen next. I liked that it had the nostalgia of the old school TV shows that I grew up with, like Mr. Rogers and Bill Nye (that’s an oxymoron, they couldn’t be anymore different). I liked the kids, they were so talented. I particularly liked “Plain Noodles with Butter.” I feel like I would get sick of the specials, but I think his stand ups are where he does his best work. 

It seems that some people shared my confusion, but others loved it. If you haven’t already, try it. Whether you’re a millennial looking for some nostalgia or part of gen z and really want to support John Mulaney, it’s worth a shot. Even if it’s not your thing, the talent involved (either John himself or the child actors) should peak your interest. If you love it, they worked very hard on it. But if you hate it, then remember John Mulaney definitely did it ironically. (Either way, he wins. That’s the special’s first lesson.)