Detention, A Counter-Intuitive Punishment

Jake Creus, Senior Chill Guy

7 am Detention is a cruel, futile punishment with no real intention of preventing future behaviors. Although this is precisely the point of detention, it in effect causes little change in the mindset of those who frequent morning detention. If one visited the classroom often I am positive that they would find some frequent offenders, serving as proof that detention doesn’t make everyone less inclined to continue their normal behavior.

That being said, detention is also a counter-intuitive punishment because it’s the very definition of a punishment, “the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offense”. The key word in that sentence is retribution. Detention is kind of like when you hit your brother and he just hits you back. He doesn’t ask you to not hit him, or to think the next time you get the urge to hit him. He just socks you in the arm as a result of your initial action. It’s meant to inconvenience the offender, to harm them. Realistically, no one is able to get the proper amount of sleep even when they don’t have detention, so losing an hour only adds salt to the wound. Furthermore, what does it accomplish? Making the student tired and at a disadvantage in the classroom. Plain and simple. Sleep deprivation is a major factor in the danger that is high school, along with the overwhelming pressure of homework and tests, all which combine to create the many mental trials and tribulations many high school students suffer from. Detention is cruel because its only intention is to worsen your mood, ability to learn and overall health. It has no rehabilitative qualities. It doesn’t encourage the student to get work done, or contemplate their actions. The punishment is mean spirited and purposeless. It does no good for anyone, especially Dr.Lask. Poor guy.