Who is Charli D’Amelio?

If you don’t know, the app TikTok, formerly known as Muscial.ly, has sufficiently taken over the lives of the 500 million active users that have downloaded it.  TikTok allows users to make anywhere from 15-60 second videos accompanying either an original sound or any song of their choice.  You can follow whoever you want to see their content, but there is also something called the “For You” page where videos with the most views/likes appear.  As you might’ve guessed, much like any form of social media, there are people who become “viral” on the app and accumulate millions of followers.  The most recent TikTok star is a 15-year old girl from Connecticut named Charli D’Amelio.

D’Amelio ended her freshman year of high school making a few videos that no one really paid attention to, and only a few months into her sophomore year she has amassed over 9 million followers on the app and gets between 3 t0 25 million views on each video she makes.

Since TikTok is arguably not as “big” as other forms of social media such as Instagram and Twitter, people that continuously end up on the “For You” page quickly become known by everyone on the app.  I guarantee anyone you know who uses TikTok knows the name, Charli D’Amelio.

She accredits her massive success to her dance background, which allows her to easily learn and perform hundreds of dances in her videos.

Recently, D’Amelio decided to have a meet and greet at her dance studio in Norwalk, CT and charged $100 to make a TikTok with her.  She claimed all proceeds went to charity after the security team was paid, but $100 a hefty price tag for what you’re getting nonetheless.  The event still brought in about 400 hundred fans, according to her parents Heidi and Marc D’Amelio, and raised over $7,000 after the aforementioned security costs.

The meet and greet was the icing on the cake for the surprisingly large amount of people who give her hate towards her “career” on TikTok.  She still received hate comments prior to this, many people claiming she was way too young to be putting herself on the internet presented as someone who could easily be college-aged, but the meet and greet gave a more concrete reason for viewers to show their reluctance towards her content.  D’Amelio said the hate on her account initially upset her and she’d try to respond to the nasty comments with witty comebacks, but as time passed, she said she decided to put her energy into her supporters rather than her detractors.

She has begun using the 60 second time limit to make short “vlogs” of her daily life, as a way of humanizing her and showing people she’s not just a girl who sits in her room in front of her phone screen all day.  In an interview with NBC News, she stated “I have feelings … I’m a person. I’m more than just a person you see dancing on your ‘For You’ page. I’m real. That’s why I’ve kind of been posting more stuff about my life … to show them I do normal things,” D’Amelio said. “I’m not just a person who posts on TikTok 24/7.”

It’s up for debate whether this attempt to make herself seem more “real” is working or not, but her rise to fame is still continuing.  Her net worth is estimated to be over $250,000, making around $3,000 to $5,000 per video.  As a 15-year-old sophomore in high school, not many people can say they’ve ever seen close to that amount of money.

Maybe we should all get on TikTok.  Or not.

Sources:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/viral/meet-charli-d-amelio-tiktok-s-newest-viral-teen-celebrity-n1092626