Rye Swim&Dive finishes 8th at states

Rye Swim&Dive finishes 8th at states

Ella Brady, Editor

The combined Rye-Rye Neck-Blind Brook swimming & diving finished off a very successful season at the NYSPHSAA championships this past weekend(Nov 22-23).  There were 6 qualifiers from the team, 5 swimmers and 1 diver.  The swimming qualifiers included 2 relay teams along with 3 individual swimmers.

The meet takes place over two days, the first day being prelims and the second is finals.  Placing in the top 30 at prelims lands you a spot in either the “A”, “B” or “C” final, and placing in the top 20 gives you an opportunity to score points for your team as well as Section 1.

The 2019 Rye-Rye Neck Blind Brook state team

The diver, Harvard-bound senior Katie Laverty, had a great meet and finished 4th overall.  As for swimmers, sophomore Lente Geelen competed individually in the 50 & 100 freestyle, placing 6th in the 50 with a time of 23.86 seconds and 4th in the 100 with a time of 51.79 seconds. Rye senior Lara Geelen finished 33rd in the 100 freestyle, unfortunately not making it back for finals.  Rye Neck senior Grace Kujawski placed 46th in the 200 IM, and 13th in the 100 breaststroke.  The 200 Medley Relay team had a fantastic showing, landing a spot in the “A” Final among the best teams in the state, and placing 6th.  The 200 Freestyle Relay also was able to score some points, placing 17th.

Overall, the Rye-Rye Neck-Blind Brook team placed 8th in the NYSPHSAA.  By section, Section 1 won the meet, beating rivals Section 5 by 166 points.  This was probably the highest the team has ever placed, and although they are losing some valuable seniors, they hope to repeat this success next year.