Spotlight on AP Art Students: Serena Miller

Serena Miller is a junior who took AP Studio Art this year with a focus on painting. In this podcast, I interview Serena about her inspirations, what she wanted to convey through her concentration (pictured above), and whether she plans on pursuing art in the future.

Background on AP Studio Art:

AP Studio Art is not your typical advanced placement course. Instead of taking an exam at the end of the year, students will submit their final portfolios. Portfolios consist of 12 “breadth” pieces and 12 “concentration” pieces for a total of 24 required pieces. So what is the difference between breadth and concentration?

The pieces that make up the breadth show no common theme and reflect a variety of skills. A strong breadth shows AP graders that the student is capable of a range of techniques. The concentration is what its name reflects; it is concentrated around a certain theme. The student will choose a theme at the beginning of the course and produce a series of pieces that convey that theme using the elements and principles of art.

Another difference between AP Studio Art and normal AP classes is that AP Art students will be graded out of 6 points instead of 5, a 5 being the highest grade for “student level” work, and a grade of 6 given only to portfolios that are professional quality.

The class is taught by Mr. Mani, Mr. Campbell, and Mrs. Chiffriller (AP Photography).