RHS Alum George Kirby Selected 20th Overall by Seattle Mariners

Last night, history was made as former Rye High School student, George Kirby, was selected round 1 into the MLB. The right hander from Elon University compiled 107 strikeouts, 6 walks, a 2.75 ERA, and an opposing batting average of .221 across 88.1 innings with 14 starts this season.

As a senior at Rye High School, the New York Mets selected Kirby in the 32nd round of the 2016 MLB draft. It is safe to say that George made the right decision to play college ball at Elon despite being drafted into the big league. “I went to Elon because I wanted to go somewhere I knew I could play as a freshman,” said Kirby, who pitched 61 1/3 innings as a freshman and 240 in three seasons. “And being able to play in the Cape last summer and playing against a lot of good college guys was great. It’s been a good ride at Elon and I’m grateful to my team for everything.”

Each year at Elon University, George got better and better and his play this season earned mid first round conversation. One incredible improvement from last year to this year was Kirby’s control. Last year Kirby tossed twenty seven walks to only walking six opposing batters this season!

A fastball ace with elite control and strikeout upside, the Seattle Mariners hope they can get a front of the rotation pitcher in Kirby for the years to come.