Interview with a Sports Business Reporter at Bloomberg Sports

I recently had the privilege of speaking with Bloomberg Sports Reporter, Scott Soshnick. Scott joined Bloomberg News in 1993 as a reporter and columnist. He spearheads Bloomberg’s sports business coverage and co-hosts Bloomberg’s Business of Sports radio show and podcast, which he created. He is also a frequent contributor to ESPN’s Outside the Lines and SportsCenter, as well as SportsNet New York’s Daily News Live.

1. How would you describe what you do?

I always tell people that my job is like running on a treadmill set to high speed. If you slow down you fall off! I’m in a constant search for information, allowing me to be first with stories that matter to our readers. I focus on the people, creating relationships that enable folks to trust me with sensitive information.

2. How did you get this role? How did you decide that you wanted to cover the business side of sports?

I’ve always loved sports and had an interest in business. I spent the early part of my career in locker rooms, dealing with the athletes. At Bloomberg, where business is in the DNA, I took it upon myself to carve out a sports business beat. The appetite was insatiable and only grew along with the industry. I’ll take conversations with owners, lawyers, bankers and executives over the locker room any day. It’s like a soap opera!

3. How does Bloomberg News cover sports differently than a company like ESPN?

Bloomberg doesn’t put its focus on what happens on the field. We’re interested in the money behind the sports. Yes, that can include contracts, but it’s only a small part of what we follow. We care about media, tech, real estate, finance — anything that impacts the money behind the franchises. Teams themselves (See Dodgers and Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment) are incubators in themselves. Players and unions are acting like venture capital firms. That’s what matters to us, not someone’s scoring average.

4. You also created Bloomberg’s Business of Sports radio show and podcast. How important are these platforms compared to editorial? Do you use these platforms to reach a different audience or to cover different material? Or both?

There is no such thing as just a print journalist these days. Everyone needs to be multi-platform because consumption habits are different. The podcast feeds the print and vice versa. Recently David Stern said on the podcast that Colin Kaepernick would have a job right now if he was a basketball player. We wrote a short story, linking the podcast. We could see the numbers rise on both platforms. The podcast does enable us to have a little more fun with the topics. In print, it’s usually straight journalism. We like to flex a little more fun on the pod[cast] because, like it or not, it’s journalism, yes, but entertainment, too.

5. Do you have a favorite piece of content that you’ve produced? Please explain why this is your favorite.

I don’t really have a favorite piece of content. For me, breaking big stories are the most fun – stories that have a wide-ranging and measurable impact. When I break a story about a publicly traded company we can see the effect in the stock price. And I’m not going to lie, I still am motivated by knowing that my competitors have to scramble to catch up to what I’ve reported.

6. What person, team or company in the “business world of sports” do you most admire?

I admire lots of folks in the industry. But having covered the NBA years ago, and grown up around it, I have a particular affinity for David Stern and Adam Silver. I have worked extensively with both of them. Both are whip-smart with different management styles. David likes fear and micromanagement. It worked for him and the league. Adam is an innate bridge builder. It works for him. I consider both friends and am a better reporter for having spent so much time with them.