What’s Up With This Capital Bond?

A run down of the 2019 Capital Bond Proposal, and my opinion on the matter.

What’s Up With This Capital Bond?

Track and Field renovation proposal

Track and Field renovation proposal

Track and Field renovation proposal

Track and Field renovation proposal

This year, superintendent Eric Byrne and the Board of Education proposed a 79.99 million dollar Capital Bond. At first look, the bond appears to be a huge sum of money. So much money, in fact, that one might begin to question what these millions of dollars will even be used for. According to the administration, the bond will primarily be used to bring all of the buildings up to code. It will do so by securing vestibule entrances for all buildings, and updating fresh air ventilation.

Furthermore, the bond has some appeal to student- athletes, as it promises to renovate the turf field and track– a renovation which is long overdue. Because of its location right next to the brook, the turf field floods at least once a year. In fact, this past fall a massive rainstorm caused the turf to be submerged in water for days, forcing all Varsity fall sports to make other accommodations. The Varsity Girls Soccer team, for example, was forced to practice at Harrison middle school, and, even worse, play one of their two night games away at the same school. As someone part of the team, I think it is safe to say we were all disappointed about not playing at our home turf– nothing could get any worse than that. However, it could. After the field was drained, there were numerous air bubbles underneath the turf, and the field was not in safe playing- condition whatsoever. In fact, a player from Harrison tore both her ACL and Meniscus this past fall because she slipped near the corner flag. Yeah, the turf needs a makeover.

The bond also promises to update the Performing Arts centers in the High School and elementary schools. Many kids who participate in theater seem to be very excited about this, considering renovations will enhance their performance with improved lighting and sound systems.

An active learning space

The only thing that the bond proposes which I, personally, am not a fan of are the so- called “active learning spaces” which will be added to the library and the school in general. I am writing this article from a mock- active learning space, and many of the students around me, myself included, do not appear to like the space. Furthermore, my AP US History class was in an active learning classroom for the first few months of school, and it was terrible. The rolly chairs and desks, as well as the couches in the back of the room proved to be a huge distraction for my class, and, despite having a great teacher who always came prepared to class, we rarely got anything done in a class period. The situation escalated so much, in fact, that we have recently switched out of the classroom into a more traditional learning space– one that allows for focused learning.

All in all, the proposed bond has many upsides and downsides. Personally, I do not have a strong stance on whether or not the bond passes today, March 12, 2019, considering I will likely have graduated by the time said improvements are made. However, all I know is that it is a huge sum of money, almost too much money in my opinion, that will be used to renovate and change many things, from classrooms to fields to theaters.