Filed under Community, News, Showcase

Rye Sustainability Committee Kicks off Food Scrap Recycling Program

Reducing landfill waste one compost at a time.

Photo+from+Healthy+Hopes.+

Photo from Healthy Hopes.

Photo from Healthy Hopes.

Photo from Healthy Hopes.

Photo from Healthy Hopes.

On March 4th, the Rye Sustainability Program began a six-month Food Scrap Recycling Program with the goal of reducing waste in the community. Here’s how it works: participants are being asked to collect food scraps in a countertop pail and later transfer them to a storage bin three or four times per week. At the end of each week, or as often as necessary, participants will bring their storage bins to the Disbrow Recycling Center to dispose of their food scraps. All material collected will be brought to a commercial compost facility, where it will be turned into compost. The program is open to all Rye residents with the purchase of a mandatory Food Scrap Recycling Kit.

So, what is composting, and why is it so beneficial? Well, compost is organic matter made of decomposed organic particles. The composting process recycles organic materials that otherwise would have been thrown away as waste products.

Compost is rich in nutrients and makes a great soil conditioner. Instead of wasting food scraps, composts use these materials to return valuable nutrients to the soil while also maintaining soil quality and fertility. Unlike chemical fertilizers, compost is an all-natural fertilizer that won’t burn plants. If you add compost to your garden, it will improve plant growth and lead to greater yields.

Composting is also good for the environment in general because it reduces food waste. According to the FAQ page of the Rye Sustainability Committee website, “Food makes up 30% of what people sends to landfills and incinerators, which then creates greenhouse gases and contributes to climate change.”

I spoke with Kit Meenan, a composting expert from Rockland County, New York, about how compost can reduce the cost of waste management and decrease pollution. “The trucks that come and pick up your garbage discard it miles and miles away, so they’re using mileage and gas to cart all this garbage. So you have a lot of abuse to the roadways, extra pollution, and you’re paying taxes to have all this stuff carted away,” she said, adding, “We really do have to be conscious of what we’re throwing in the garbage, and start composting and recycling.”

When people separate their food waste from the rest of their trash, they become more aware of how much food they toss, often prompting them to buy less.

Photo from Wired.

What materials are good to compost? Since the Food Scrap Recycling Program brings the compost to a commercial composting facility, the program allows for much more accepted items than a backyard composter, which is limited to fruits, vegetables, coffee grounds, and grass clippings. The program accepts all food scraps, such as fruits and vegetables, meat and poultry, fish and shellfish, dairy products, bread and pasta, rice and grains, egg shells, chips and snacks, and leftover, spoiled, and expired food. Other items include coffee grounds, tea bags, paper towels and napkins, cut flowers, and compostable bags.

Although there are many things you can compost, some items will contaminate your compost and should not be included. These include plastic bags, baby/hand wipes, diapers, glass, metal, plastic, pet waste or kitty litter, styrofoam, and yard waste.

Even if your family is not participating in this project, anyone can compost at home and contribute to a healthier planet!