Preview of the Rye Women’s Lacrosse Season (featuring Catherine Egan)

2017 Rye Varsity Lacrosse team celebrates winning the Section 1 title

Even though it feels like fall sports were being played last week, March is here. March, for the majority of Rye students, indicates the start of Spring Sports, such as lacrosse and baseball. However, for the Rye Varsity Girl’s Lacrosse team, preparations have been in full swing for quite a while, hoping that their hard work now will enable them to avenge last year’s unfortunate end.

2018 Rye Varsity Lacrosse team

In 2018, the girls were crowned league champs for the second consecutive year, and finished the regular season with a winning record. Going into playoffs, they had a very good chance of making it to the Section Final, especially considering they had won the title the year before (2017). However, despite having a good run in the playoffs, the girl’s season came to an abrupt end with, what many of the players believe to be, a bad loss to Brewster High School. In the first four minutes of the semifinal match- up, Rye jumped to a decent lead of 4-0, and was looking very solid. However, the lead did not last very long, and Brewster quickly came back. The rest of the game was pretty back and forth, but, in the end, Brewster pulled away to win the game with a score of 14- 10. Rye went home, and Brewster went on to win the Section Final.

The game was tragic for the team, and many of the players have not forgotten the shocking season- ending loss. Junior Catherine Egan, for example, had a lot to say about the game and what impact it will have on this upcoming season, “We honestly could have won. The game was so close, and that just makes the loss so much worse. A lot of the people that are here this year were in that game, so they all want to come back and use that loss as motivation to get the job done on the field this year.” In order to get said job done, the girls have been working hard in the off- season to get ready for the season.

Starting in January, many of the returning varsity players have been doing lift sessions at Purchase College. They have also been spending many hours at the turf over the past few weeks, hoping that their individual preparations will allow them to start the season on a good note. However, starting the season on said good note will be quite the challenge for the women’s lacrosse team. According to returning Varsity junior Catherine Egan, the Garnets’ regular season schedule is quite rigorous, and features many challenging opponents like Yorktown, Staples, and North Rockland. Despite the predicted difficulty of these games, however, players like Catherine know that these tough opponents will get them ready for the post- season, “Playing these games will help us gain more experience, and, even if we lose, these challenges will prepare us for playoffs.”

Rye celebrates a goal

Even though there are many powerhouse lacrosse teams in Section 1 like North Rockland and Staples, Rye is also up there in terms of will- power. With 17 returning Varisty players, Rye will have no trouble fielding an experienced group, from goalie to attack. Among the 17 returners, in fact, five are committed to college for lacrosse, including junior Paige Drago (Gettysburg College), junior Jordan Basso (Gettysburg College), junior Leah Kenny (University of Richmond), junior Amelia Cunningham (Colgate University), and senior Molly Broderick (Trinity College). The abundance of committed players and recruits on the team is a good show of the talent and drive the lacrosse team has. Now it is just a matter of how they will connect and come together on the field.