Zion Williamson’s Injury Impacts NCAA Process, Draft Age Limit of 18

Zion Williamson extended his leg awkwardly as he broke through his shoe 36 seconds into a match-up against North Carolina on February 20th. The average ticket for the game between Duke and UNC was reselling for $3,296 on SeatGeek.com

Chris Urban, Editor

Amid Zion Williamson’s recent injury last week against North Carolina, the conversation of the NBA draft process has  been brought to the forefront of discussion with many different opinions and perspectives. Many NBA stars have spoke out and stated their opinions. Golden State Warriors Center DeMarcus Cousins believes that “college basketball and the NCAA is bulls—, my advice to [Williamson] is to do what’s best for him and his family. College does nothing for you at this point. You’ve proven you’re a No. 1 pick at this point. You’ve proven your talent…there’s so many risks involved to get to the ultimate goal.” Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Young stated that “Zion needs to chill out the rest of the season…we need to change @NCAA.”

College basketball is a platform for thousands of athletes to show their worth and talents. Yet, coming out of High School as a destined NBA player, what is the point of going to school for one year? LeBron James went straight out of High School to the NBA when the rules allowed and his career can speak for itself. Not every elite talent coming out of High School is LeBron James, but if a one-and-done year of college basketball risks injury and future implications such as money and draft stock, why bother? It is a legitimate issue that the NCAA and NBA commissioner Adam Silver must look into more deeply.

As much as anything else considered in the debate, NIKE is in trouble as their stock went down 1.7% the day after Zion’s shoe broke on a redirection move. The near gruesome looking injury is a bad look for NIKE as players may question the quality of their products. NIKE released a statement stating “we are obviously concerned and want to wish Zion a speedy recovery,” per The Washington Post‘s Des Bieler. “The quality and performance of our products are of utmost importance. While this is an isolated occurrence, we are working to identify the issue.”

We all hope Zion Williamson will come back 100% healthy again and dominate college hoops with his highlight real athletic abilities. Loyal to Duke and his teammates, Zion Williamson is listed as day-to-day with a grade 1 knee sprain and will return to the Duke starting lineup shortly.

Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Before the injury, Zion Williamson was averaging 21.6 Points, 8.8 Total Rebounds, 2.2 Assists, and an Effective Field Goal Percentage of 70.5% in 28.5 minutes.