Rising Soccer Star Killed in Tragic Plane Accident

Olivia Dabinett

Emiliano Sala was an Argentine professional soccer player who played as a forward. After bouncing between teams from 2012 to 2015, Sala signed for FC Nantes on a permanent basis. FC Nantes is one of the most successful clubs in French soccer, and competes in Ligue 1–the first division of French soccer. While at Nantes, Sala made more than 100 Ligue 1 appearances and finished as the club’s top goalscorer for three consecutive seasons.     

Sala’s terrific play at Nantes earned him looks from some prestigious clubs in the English Premier League. Among these clubs was Cardiff City Football Club, a team based in Cardiff, Wales that currently competes in the top tier of English soccer–the EPL. Impressed by Emiliano’s form, Cardiff City signed Sala for a club record fee of 18 million euros, equivalent to 20 million U.S. dollars, making Sala a record signing. 

Now this is where the tragedy begins. After saying his goodbyes to his Nantes teammates, many of whom Sala had known for quite some

Eddy LEMAISTRE
Sala celebrates a goal at Nantes

time, Emiliano Sala packed up his bags and prepared himself for what could about to be the peak of his soccer career on, arguably, the world’s biggest soccer stage. He then boarded the Piper Malibu aircraft that would take him from Nantes to Cardiff. The flight would take approximately 4 hours, landing in time for Sala’s first training session with his new club the following morning. However, Sala never made it to that first training session. He never made it to Cardiff in the first place. 

On January 21, 2019, Sala’s plane, which was carrying himself and pilot David Ibbotson, disappeared off Alderney, located in the English Channel. Two days later, Air Search reported that there was no hope of finding any survivors in the water. Initially, the cause of Sala’s disappearance was unknown; however, an audio message that Sala had sent to some friends via Whatsapp was released by the media recently, giving people some idea of what could have happened. The audio message said:

Hello, my brothers, how are you? Boy, I’m tired. I was here in Nantes taking care of things, things, things, and it never stops, it never stops. Anyway guys, I’m up in this plane that feels like it’s falling to pieces, and I’m going to Cardiff. It’s crazy, we start tomorrow. Training in the afternoon, guys, in my new team… Let’s see what happens. So, how’s it going with you guys, all good? If in an hour and a half you have no news from me, I don’t know if they are going to send someone to look for me because they cannot find me, but you will know… Man, I’m scared!”

After the plane disappeared, authorities searched for Sala’s plane for three days, and found nothing. They decided to discontinue the search, angering family, friends, and fans everywhere. Eager to find their beloved star, fans rallied to fund private searches for Sala’s plane, and thanks to many donations, two subsequent private searches were launched.

Players pay tribute to Sala

On February 3, 2019, wreckage of the plane was discovered in the English channel. Four days later, Sala’s body was found, devastating people everywhere. Unfortunately, private searches are still looking for Pilot David Ibbotson, and trying to identify what exactly caused the aircraft to crash that day.

After he was officially declared dead, clubs began to honor Sala during their games. At their last home game, FC Nantes players wore all black and took a moment of silence before the match in honor of their former teammate. Cardiff City also took a moment of silence to remember the rising star, bringing many fans to tears. Both tributes were quite moving and emotional. Clearly, the legacy Sala left in the soccer world will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace

Emiliano.