Filed under News, Showcase

Rundown of the Week’s Top Stories

Looking at some of the most controversial moments of the last week.

Rundown of the Week’s Top Stories

Photo credit to The Hill

Photo credit to The Hill

Photo credit to The Hill

Photo credit to The Hill

This past week has been eventful, to say the least. Here I’m going to be breaking down three stories that had everyone talking.

AOC’s “Green New Deal”

AOC introduces the Green New Deal. Photo credit to New York Times.

I can’t even begin to explain how ridiculous this proposal by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) is. Listen, I’m all for legislation that reduces or ends climate change, but the Green New Deal is just so insanely unrealistic. There’s no chance that the government would be able to upgrade all buildings in the US to be more environmentally friendly. Think of how many buildings we have in our country. It would cost a fortune to renovate each one, on top of building new infrastructure as well. The next part of the deal is just as unrealistic. They want to eliminate all transportation systems that worsen pollution and emit greenhouse gases. This would mean replacing cars and planes with “zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing; clean, affordable, and accessible public transportation; and high-speed rail,” aka trains. Ask Gavin Newson and California taxpayers how that went. Finally, and by far, most ridiculously, the Green New Deal will provide economic comfort to those “unwilling to work.” Ahh socialism. Although AOC’s office said that the “unwilling to work” line was just a part of the initial draft, it’s still crazy that it was considered.

Ilhan Omar and Anti-Semitism

Ilhan Omar at the State of the Union, just days before attracting controversy. Photo credit to Washington Post.

Another freshman Congresswoman that made headlines over the weekend was Ilhan Omar (D-MN). I won’t go into detail about what she said because it’s all over the internet, but she pretty much repeated an age-old stereotype about Jewish people influencing elections through money. This is dangerous, especially during a time where anti-Semitism is on the rise. Outcry about her comments came from both sides of the aisle, which led her to issue an apology. But the problem is that this isn’t the first time she said something that could be interpreted as anti-Semitic. Time and again, she has said things that were considered offensive by many Jewish people and Israelis. Just like Steve King should, she should face consequences! We can’t keep excusing government officials for making highly offensive comments. They need to be held to a higher standard.

One Year Since Parkland

The 17 people whose lives were unfairly taken from them at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School because relaxed gun laws allowed a troubled person to easily get his hands on semi-automatic weapons. Photo credit to Sun Sentinel.

One year ago, a gunman walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and murdered 14 students and 3 teachers. In the wake of the tragedy, MSD students stepped up and founded March For Our Lives, an organization dedicated to ending gun violence and passing gun control measures. After years and years of mass shootings, I felt that this one would be the game-changer. I thought that for sure something would change. But nope. Here we are a year later with little done to prevent the all-too-common mass shootings. Death by guns reached its highest peak in the US in 2018. Around 40,000 people were killed by guns last year. This should be a wake-up call. We need to change how pervasive the issue of gun-related deaths is in America. It’s clearly a problem.