NBA Trade Deadline Recap, Winners, Losers

Chris Urban, Editor

The 2019 NBA trade deadline was peppered with rumors and full of rapid-fire action. The New Orleans Pelicans caused fiery tensions and divide within the Los Angles Lakers over Anthony Davis trade talks. The Raptors improved upon their already fortified frontcourt. Markelle Fultz was dealt, officially establishing himself as one of the biggest NBA busts of all time for the 76ers. The Lakers got a shooter. The New York Knicks and Dallas Mavericks struck a deal, arguably the biggest of the week. There is no question that the 2019 trade deadline will impact the rest of this years NBA season.

Winners:

Philadelphia 76ers:

The 76ers acquired Tobias Harris, Boban Marjonovic, and Mike Scott from the Los Angeles Clippers for Landry Shamet, Wilson Chandler and two first round picks in 2020 and 2021.

The 76ers are going all-in for this season and beyond on a quest to win an NBA championship. With this trade, I believe they have the starting 5 to do it. Adding a skilled multifaceted small/power forward that can shoot efficiently from the field is a must have in order to win a title, hint Kevin Durant. A Starting 5 of Ben Simmons, J.J. Redick, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, and Joel Embiid can compete with Golden State. In 56 games this season, Harris is averaging 20.8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 56.2 effective field goal percentage including an impressive 43.7% from 3.

Orlando Magic:

The Magic acquired Markelle Fultz from the Philadelphia 76ers for Johnathan Simmons a 2020 first round pick and a 2019 second round selection.

On the verge of being arguably the greatest bust in NBA history, the former number 1 overall pick Markelle Fultz has only played 33 games in his young NBA career. That can be a good thing because perhaps he has not tapped into his NBA game just yet. The Magic are taking a flyer on the former 2017 No.1 overall pick and there is cause for optimism for Fultz with a new team. In college, he was a knockdown shooter and elite scorer from anywhere on the court. Maybe a fresh start with a new organization turns Fultz’s career around. Hampered by injury and mental health issues, the win-now 76ers couldn’t wait on Markelle to much longer.

Toronto Raptors:

The Memphis Grizzlies traded star center Marc Gasol to the Toronto Raptors for Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2024 second round pick.

This may have been the best value deal of the deadline. Adding Gasol to the already formidable Raptors front court makes them a serious contender in the East. Marc Gasol will be added to a frontcourt of Serge Ibaka and likely to be most improved POTY Pascal “Spicy P” Siakam. Toronto’s starting 5 post-deadline is one to look out for. Kyle Lowry, Kawhi Leonard, Pascal Siakam, Serge Ibaka, and Marc Gasol make a versatile and very talented squad. A stretch 5 who can move the ball and shoot is always a threat in the NBA playoffs, and that’s exactly what the Raptors got.

Dallas Mavericks:

Perhaps the most impactful deal of the week sent Kristaps Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee from the Knicks to the Mavericks in exchange for Dennis Smith Jr, Deandre Jordan and Wesley Matthews (Matthews was released and signed with Indiana).

Before ACL injury late last season, Porzingis was a rising NBA superstar. A 7’3 PF/C that has elite 3 ball touch is nearly impossible to find. An athletic freak, Porzingis has a balanced and refined game that has the potential to grow into his frame even more. The Mavericks now have Luka Doncic and Kristaps, who are great friends, on the same team. On pace for the greatest rookie season ever, Doncic, and Porziongis are two young European superstars that can grow into something special. The positives and potential are very high, but there’s a risk that an ACL injury to someone 7’3 can be detrimental to a career. The Knicks received promising young point guard Dennis Smith Jr. and are likely to attain the veteran big man De’Andre Jordan for the rest of this season.

Losers:

Los Angeles Lakers:

The Lakers quest to pair Anthony Davis with Lebron James didn’t come to fruition. The MVP-caliber player of Anthony Davis would have surely improved the Lakers, despite the many pieces they would have given up. One could make the argument that AD and Lebron would have made one of the greatest duos in NBA history.

New Orleans Pelicans:

From the Pelicans perspective, they also lose. They could have received Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, and two first-round picks! For a team that is nearly in the basement of the standings, why not approach a rebuild. The Lakers-Pelicans leaked trade offer would have helped both sides and sparked an excellent step into rebuilding the Pelicans. Although not elite, Ingram and Kuzma can absolutely play ball, and Lonzo is getting there. Not to mention two first round picks for 2019 and 2020.

New York Knicks:

The Knicks dealt their franchise player in return for, a guy they passed on in the draft and hope of stockpiling mega free agents this offseason. Hoping for great success in the offseason is risky because in all, you aren’t playing ball and you can’t control the minds of free agents easily. In addition, they received the guy they passed on in 2017, Dennis Smith Jr. A young promising point guard true, but the Knicks could have had him in the first place instead of drafting soon to be bust Frank Ntilikina. The Knicks could have had success with Smith Jr and Kristaps on the roster instead of making this trade and being the laughingstock of the NBA.

Philadelphia 76ers (partly):

As of now one of the greatest busts in NBA history, the 76ers got 33 games out of their 2016 number 1 overall selection. In fact, they traded up 2 spots to get him giving up a top ten 2018-19 pick. Dealing him to the Orlando Magic officially ends the Fultz trainwreck in Philly.

Can Markelle Fultz turn it around as a member of the Orlando Magic?