Les Miserables Preview

Les Miserables Preview

Ella Garnett, Editor

This year’s musical is the infamous Le Miserables. The show is on March 1st at 7 pm and March 2nd at 2 & 7 pm. Tickets are $5 for students, $15 for adults, and free for senior citizens. The show will take place at the Performing Arts Center. The show, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, tells the heart wrenching tale of a man called Jean Valjean (played by Faith Bennett) who was imprisoned for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. ValJean must change his identity because the Inspector Javert (played by Nate Valsania) continues to follow his whereabouts in hopes of finally defeating him throughout the show. The story follows his journey after prison as he discovers a woman named Fantine (played by Sasha Spitz), who is working as a prostitute in order to pay for her illegitimate daughter’s care. Her daughter, Cosette (played by Anastasia Liodori), is stuck with abusive parents, the Thenardiers (played by Dominic Sculti and myself). The Thenardiers real daughter, Eponine (played by Lily Polito), is faced with the struggle of loving her life-long friend Marius (played by Grant Hounsell) who doesn’t love her back. Set in the heart of the French Revolution, the story takes on many twists and turns intwined in the stories of several characters. You’ll have to see it for yourself to discover how each story ends…

Known for it’s transcendent music, “Le Mis” is a heart-stirring experience for every viewer lucky enough to see a production. From the intense battle scenes to the ballads of lost love to the powerful chorus harmonies. Anyone familiar with the show knows how unique and mind-blowing the experience is compared to that of other musicals. Members of the cast have readily expressed their excitement. Senior Lucian Overweel said, “When I heard the show was Les Miserables, I made the decision then and there that I was going to do it. The musical is incredible!” Senior Ariana Ottrando said, “Im so lucky to have been able to be a part of this timeless show, but the most special part about this experiences has been working with the most talented and hilarious cast that means so much to me.” Sophomore Rachel Belanger added, “Working on this show has been so amazing! Everyone’s so passionate about it and committed to it. Plus the show itself is so emotional and intense and just so incredible that everyone in the cast and crew really wants to do it justice.”

Around a hundred students are involved in the production of the show, so it’s more than likely that you have a friend involved. From the cast to the crew to the pit band, there are several different ways for students to be involved in the show. Support your friends and come out and see Les Miserables on March 1st & 2nd!