The War on Terror Today

The War on Terror Today

Griffin Snyder, Writer

While the War on Terror has been going on for over 15 years, for many people, it is no longer a matter of concern to their day to day lives, as it has been going on for too long in the eyes of many Americans. For younger generations, 9/11 is either a distant memory or a nonexistent one, while for many who do vividly remember the attacks don’t feel the same desire for revenge and patriotic zeal as when the attacks happened and the war began. Even the recent resurgence of attention and vigor to the war with the attacks by ISIS have faded and most people simply do not care anymore.

As mentioned earlier, most people my age didn’t experience 9/11 and we didn’t know about or care about the fighting until the war on ISIS began, but with the downfall of the Islamic State imminent, most of us have already stopped paying attention to the war in the Middle East. In fact, there was a recent surge similar to the Tet offensive in the Vietnam where Taliban forces staged a mass attack on US positions in order to turn public opinion against the war, but nobody noticed or cared, and the operation was a complete and total failure. With the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi a month ago, many people again focused on the Middle East (but not the war), but now, a month later, people have again stopped caring.

When a war goes on this long, the general populace is destined to lose interest in the fighting, which is very clear with the War on Terror, as most Americans only care about foreign affairs when the events are new and not just some small development in a nearly two decade long war. Most people generally focus on domestic affairs if they follow the news at all, which is evident in the near complete lack of interest on the War of Terror.