With The 2019 MLB Draft Approaching – Rye Alum George Kirby Is Planning To Give It Another Run

In his senior year at Rye High School in 2016, George Kirby was drafted in the 32nd round of the MLB Draft by the New York Mets. Although, Kirby chose to pass up the draft and continue his baseball career at Elon University in hopes that it would boost his draft status as well as give him an opportunity to get a really good education. Kirby was known for his ability to run up the radar gun, but not many people have followed his progress.

Major League Baseball has very specific rules on drafting college athletes. For example, if you attend a four year institution, you are not “draft-eligible” for the first three years after you graduate from high school.

The 2019 MLB draft is Kirby’s first year of eligibility. He has been lights-out at Elon as one of their aces and has high hopes for the draft. By choosing to go to college, he did more than just boost his draft profile, to be exact he raised his ranking by about 350 picks.

Kirby is ranked #11 on Perfect Games draft rankings for college players, #18 on Prep Baseball Report, and #53 on Baseball America which includes both high school and college draft prospects. That’s a transition from the 32nd round in 2016 to the 1st and 2nd rounds in 2019.

This could be a big year for George Kirby, so keep your eye open to see how it all unfolds.