Athlete of the Week- Kevin Abbondanza

The Athlete of the Week for this week is soccer star Kevin Abbondanza. Abbondanza starts for the boys varsity soccer team at outside midfield. He shares the team lead with 13 goals in 20 games. In the boys first league game and the season opener, Abbondanza put two goals in the back of the net, along with three assists in playing forty-four minutes. This earned him the man of the match. Furthermore, Kevin was selected Lohud player of the day due to his outstanding performance. Recently, the boys matched up against Sleepy Hollow in the third game of playoffs. Kevin was able to score two goals while adding an assist. This helped them advance to the next round.

Kevin has shown much more than his skills on the field this season. He has shown that he is a great teammate. When asked about team traditions he answered, “Every year before the season starts, the varsity boys and girls team go on a trip somewhere to play a few games. This year it was Philadelphia. I had a great time and I’m looking forward to that next year. ” Kevin has proven to be a great team player throughout the season.

One of Kevin’s teammates and friends, varsity goalkeeper Kai Haesslein, was asked for a few words about Kevin. He comments, “Obviously Kevin is a phenomenal player and has scored a lot of goals for us and played a key role in our offense. But he’s also a great teammate and his sense of humor always brings the teams energy up. Despite what most people think, he can be serious when it counts.” Kevin was able to bring the team closer by helping them win games and his personality.

Unfortunately, the boys lost in the semi-finals against Pearl River. It was their first appearance since 2009. Kevin was able to score the only goal for Rye, pushing them into double overtime and then losing in penalties. Kevin is keeping his options open to play for a division one school in college.