The fastest growing religion in the States: Wicca

The TallTale Writer, Editor

Over the last few years, it has been hard to not spend at least one day a week watching a show without witches or spells. Even more now, with the fall season and the recent backlash for the TV show, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, the show gained popularity. The show not only caused a stir with the general public, but also amongst populations of wiccans, witches and satanists.

The scariest thing is that the satanic temple is threatening to sue the TV show for appropriating their baphomet. This led many people to ask, “What the heck? “And even scarier, “How many of these people are there?” There’s got to be quite a few for them to make a lawsuit, and it seems to be true. Wicca is estimated to become one of the major religions in the world during the 21st century.

If you claim that Christianity is the biggest growing religion, then you would be wrong. Technically, Islam would be one of the fastest growing religions in the world. However, Wicca seems to be growing even faster. Wicca is a modern pagan, witchcraft religion that has its origin in Europe.  It has been estimated that the number of Americans that are wiccans is doubling every 30 months, and at this point there are more than 200,000 registered witches and approximately 8 million unregistered practitioners of Wicca. This information seems to make people feel uneasy, due to the stigma of witches throughout history. However, many wiccans claim that there are so many different types of witchcraft studies that ranges from really light spell casting to many “darker” types as well.

Many researchers already claim that this recent boost has been happening throughout the decade, as the faith had an annual growth rate of 143% between 1990 and 2001. It was already estimated that in the 21st Century, wicca would be the third biggest religion in the United States. The last question to ask is, “Why are some people so drawn to the faith?” There seems to be many reasons why people change religions or faith, but there doesn’t seem to be a single person with the same answer to that question. According to a few wiccans, some of the appealing aspects to this faith are the fact that many Pagan groups have no restrictions or injunctions against homosexuality, bisexuality, or any other gender status. For some other people, it’s their preference to not believe in a single god or go to a single establishment to practice. Lastly, it is the new popularity in American media. People want to try what is new and popular. TV shows over the last few years like Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Teen Wolf, and of course, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, were considered major catalysts in the interest of young minds into the faith.

Now, it all depends on how people start to view the faith from now on, with the growing amount of members and new temples and covens being built. The only difference between this faith, and many other ones, is the lack of statistics and information on their growth, due to their secrecy and question of legitimacy. To this day, many Christians and Catholics have already vocalized concerns, but the numbers still continue to rise. Could Wicca be the next major religion?