Filed under News, Opinion, Showcase

Opinion: Pete Davidson’s Joke About Injured War Vet

"This is absolutely appalling. No one should ever mock a Veteran for the wounds they received while defending our great nation, regardless of political party or what you think of their politics. Pete Davidson owes Dan Crenshaw an apology." -Tammy Duckworth, a US Senator who lost both her legs during the Iraq War.

Photo credit to CNN.com

Photo credit to CNN.com

Photo credit to CNN.com

I love Saturday Night Live. The political skits, particularly when Alec Baldwin portrays Trump, are genius. I recognize SNL’s obvious left-leaning bias, but I don’t care because I’m not the kind of person that gets too easily offended and because I find their skits spot-on. However, there’s a line where something goes from being funny to outright offensive. And in this week’s episode, cast member Pete Davidson crossed the line in the most disgusting of ways. Where’s the outrage?

During a Weekend Update segment, Pete Davidson made a “joke” directed at Texas GOP congressman and former Navy SEAL Dan Crenshaw. During a tour of Afghanistan in 2012, Crenshaw was hit by an IED that blew his eye out. He now wears an eyepatch to cover the spot where his eye once was. People on both sides of the aisle should agree that Crenshaw is an American hero who deserves our utmost respect; this shouldn’t be debatable. However, Davidson had the nerve to insult him for wearing an eyepatch, and the lack of criticism by the media is disturbing.

Dan Crenshaw in Afghanistan before losing his eye. Photo credit to Dan Crenshaw’s website.

If you aren’t familiar with what Davidson said, I’ll fill you in. While giving his take on the candidates running in the midterms, he targeted Crenshaw by saying, “This guy is kinda cool, Dan Crenshaw. You may be surprised to hear he’s a congressional candidate from Texas, and not a hit man in a porno movie. I’m sorry, I know he lost his eye in war, or whatever. Whatever.” It should be obvious how wrong this is. Since when is it okay for some sleazy, lowlife comedian to compare a war hero and House of Representatives candidate to a villain in a porn movie? How is this acceptable for some people?

Clearly some people did find this comment acceptable. “Woke” Twitter was silent. Most of the media was silent. When I was watching the news on Sunday morning, Jake Tapper on CNN’s State of the Union was the only anchor to address it. If you were to google Pete Davidson, you would find articles praising him for “respectfully” addressing his breakup with pop singer Ariana Grande, but you wouldn’t find much about his comments on Crenshaw. On CNN’s website on Monday morning, I had to scroll down quite a bit to a small dropdown called “Check These Out” to find any mention of this topic; on Google News, I didn’t find a single mention.

Crenshaw has worn an eyepatch since his injury. Photo credit to the Washington Examiner.

Listen, I don’t agree with Trump’s hatred towards the “Fake News” media. To him, the media isn’t credible when they don’t bow down to him as if he were a king. But I do agree that most news channels have a bias, whether conservative or liberal. In this case, I’m disappointed by how little airtime this story has gotten. Now I don’t like Trump, but just imagine for a second that he said what Davidson said. The media would have a field day, and we’d never hear the end of it!

What Pete Davison said about Dan Crenshaw is disgusting, and if you ask me, he deserves to be fired. However, as SNL hasn’t even commented on the story, he most likely won’t be. This should be a learning experience that it is never okay to insult a veteran whether they are a Republican or a Democrat. Let me leave you with Dan Crenshaw’s tweet in response to Davidson: “Good rule in life: I try hard not to offend; I try harder not to be offended. That being said, I hope SNL recognizes that vets don’t deserve to see their wounds used as punchlines for bad jokes.” Burn.