Filed under Girls Soccer, School

Rye Girl’s Soccer Sendoff

The Rye Women’s soccer team’s playoff run sadly came to an end with a loss to John Jay in double overtime. In the first 5 minutes of the game, Rye took the lead with a beautiful low driven goal from Rachael Adelson. The early goal was quite the start for Rye, considering in their previous meeting with John Jay, it took 83 minutes for anyone to score. Unfortunately, John Jay responded with a header goal late in the second half, making the score 1-1. The two teams exchanged chances in the second half, but no one was able to capitalize on their opportunities, sending the teams to overtime.

After the first overtime period, the teams remained tied at a score of 1-1. However, in the second overtime period, John Jay managed to find the back of the net with 5 SECONDS left in the game. Definitely not the outcome Rye had wanted, but the girls gave it their all that night.

As the season concludes, the seniors and their legacies should not be forgotten. Some of them will be moving on to play soccer at the collegiate level, others played in their last soccer game of their career; however, moving on or not, every single senior should be very proud of what they have accomplished throughout their high school soccer career.

This team was a tight knitted group. They became a family over the course of the season and they played so well together. After playoff season, the team’s final record was 16-1-2, which is an incredible record considering the tough teams they played. They were league champs for the 3rd year in a row and they were the 3rd seed in the class A playoffs. Clearly, the girls have a lot to be proud of. Teaghan Flaherty agrees stating, “they had a really great run and I know it didn’t end as well as they would’ve liked it too, but they should be very proud of their accomplishments”. Even though the season did not conclude the way the team had hoped, Olivia Dabinett said confidently “there are only 291 days until preseason; we will be back.”