Winners and Losers of the NFL Trade Deadline

The annual NFL trade deadline concluded Tuesday October 30th, at 4pm ET, and there were certainly some fireworks. Teams that need to fill holes in their roster are usually active, attempting to better their roster via trade. Because there have already been eight games played in the season, teams know what types of players from other teams would bolster their team. Even just halfway through the season, some teams battle with major injury concerns and or players not living up to their expectation. That’s why teams can look to the NFL trade deadline to help fix those issues. The trade deadline can be an impactful moment in a team’s season. For teams that are succeeding and perhaps have a few holes on their roster can take advantage of the deadline and better their chances of making a playoff push. This year there was quite a bit of action around the league:

Winners:

Every NFC East Team Besides the Giants

The Dallas Cowboys kicked off the festivities acquiring Oakland Raiders wide receiver Amari Cooper for a 2019 first round draft pick. The Cowboys were in need of an established #1 perimeter receiver, and they may have just got one. Amari Cooper has struggled with consistency, but nonetheless he sports elite talent and upside as the Cowboys new #1 receiver. A two time 1,000 yard receiver, Cooper is only 24 years old.

Reportedly interested in Cooper, the Philadelphia Eagles were not willing to give up the first round pick that Dallas offered to the Raiders. Although they didn’t land Cooper, they did acquire long-time Detroit Lions wide receiver Golden Tate for a 2019 third round draft pick. More established yet less talented than Cooper, Tate has been one of the best slot receivers in the NFL for the past 5 seasons. Some argue that a third round pick for Golden Tate is a better value than Cooper for a first round pick. Tate brings veteran leadership and production the the already high-powered Eagles offense.

The Washington Redskins landed Green Bay Packers free safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix for a 2019 fourth round draft pick. This is a good trade for the Redskins as they acquire a quality safety that can pair with the highly graded D.J. Swearinger already on the roster.

Los Angeles Rams

The Rams were looking to bolster their already loaded defensive line, and adding the number 3 overall pick of the 2015 draft can only help. Dante Fowler Jr. was a major disappointment for the Jaguars, but a change of scenery from the meddling Jaguars to the best team in football should bring lift his spirits and seek motivation to be better. Fowler sports elite athleticism and talent for the highly coveted defensive end position. The Rams already ranked first in the NFL in pass rush win rate (using NFL Next Gen Stats). According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter they have now they’ve traded for Dante Fowler Jr., who ranks 13th among DE/OLB with a 31% PRWR. However, he only has 105 pass rushes this season. The Rams sent a 2019 fifth round pick to acquire Fowler.

Texans-Broncos Trade

The Houston Texans acquired veteran wide receiver Demaryius Thomas after losing deep threat Will Fuller V to an ACL injury. The Texans sent a fourth and seventh round picks and the Broncos sent Thomas and a seventh round pick. This immediately helps the Texans offense as they are adding a reliable and skilled Thomas that can step in as the number two wide receiver to Deandre Hopkins. For the Broncos this is also a win because it opens the door for second round rookie wide receiver Courtland Sutton. The Broncos have great faith in Sutton to step up into the former role of Thomas in their offense. Sutton has showed flashes of being a vertical possession receiver, much like a younger Demaryius Thomas in Denver. A multiple 1,000 yard receiver throughout his career, Thomas will bring nice production to the Texans as a established number two receiver.

Losers:

New York Giants

The New York Giants were simply outdone in the trade deadline by their rivals in the NFC East. Already (1-7), the New York Giants traded away two worthy players while the Eagles, Redskins and Cowboys made moves. The Giants traded their top 10 pick of 2016, Eli Apple, to the New Orleans Saints for a 2019 fourth and 2020 seventh round pick. The Giants also traded away veteran defensive tackle Damon “Snacks” Harrison to the Detroit Lions for a 2019 fifth round pick. Harrison previously signed a five-year, $46.25 million contract with the Giants in 2016. In my opinion, both trades are poor for the Giants. Trading away players that are playing now and contribute for future draft picks is not a great way of going about things unless the Giants are in tank mode, once again.

QB-needy teams

Teams that need quarterback help were calling around in recent weeks about the Buccaneers’ Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Jets’ Josh McCown, the Browns’ Tyrod Taylor and the Eagles’ Nick Foles. None of them were moved, mainly because none of those teams wanted to give away a reliable backup option behind their starter. Teams like the Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins are teams that still have a chance of succeeding, yet they didn’t snag any of the capable starters mentioned above at the trade deadline.