World Series Games 1 and 2 Recap

One night after getting four hits, Red Sox left fielder Andrew Benintendi made a leaping, spread-eagle catch to rob Brian Dozier of an extra-base hit leading off the fifth. With the ball tailing away from him toward the corner, Benintendi jumped, kicked and pulled it in a few feet in front of the Green Monster scoreboard.

Chris Urban, Editor

The second game of the world series was eerily similar to the first- Boston dominating L.A.  Game one included, what some consider to be, the two best active pitchers going head to head, did exactly come to fruition in two high scoring affairs.

Game 1:

The 106 year-old Fenway Park proved too tricky, too cold and just too much for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Andrew Benintendi, J.D. Martinez, and the Boston Red Sox came out swinging in the World Series opener, seizing every advantage in their quirky ballpark to beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 8-4 on a chilly and windy Tuesday night.

Benintendi had four hits, Martinez drove in two early runs and pinch-hitter Eduardo Nunez slammed a three-run homer to seal it. The 108-win Boston Red Sox got a solid effort from their bullpen after an expected duel between aces Chris Sale and Clayton Kershaw never developed.

Given a second chance, Boston Red Sox Star outfielder, Mookie Betts lined a single that set up a two-run first inning.

In the seventh, newly inserted Dodgers left fielder Joc Pederson looked hesitant as he chased Benintendi’s soft fly, rushing toward the seats that jut out down the line. The ball ticked off his glove for a ground-rule double, and soon Nunez connected off Alex Wood to break open a 5-4 game.

It was 53 degrees at first pitch and it dropped into the mid-40s by the end. That was the coldest game for Los Angeles this season and quite a contrast from last year’s World Series, when it was a record 103 degrees for the opener at Dodger Stadium against Houston.

Game 2:

From playoff flop to World Series ace in one legacy-changing October, David Price earned his second postseason victory in a row Wednesday night and delivered the Boston Red Sox their second straight World Series win.

The Red Sox left-hander pitched six innings of three-hit ball, and major league RBI leader J.D. Martinez broke a fifth-inning tie with a two-run single during another two-out rally to lead Boston to a 4-2 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers and a 2-0 lead in the World Series.

The Red Sox have won 14 of their last 16 World Series games, dating to a four-game sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals in 2004.

But the 108-win Red Sox pulled ahead, and once again they waited until there were two outs to do it.

In an uncanny stretch of clutch hitting that has been their hallmark throughout the season, the Red Sox scored all four of their runs in Game 2 with two outs, including a three-run rally in the fifth that only started after Hyun-Jin Ryu set down Ian Kinsler and Jackie Bradley Jr.

Christian Vazquez singled, Mookie Betts did the same and Andrew Benintendi worked the count full before walking to load the bases, chasing Ryu. Ryan Madson walked Steve Pearce to tie the game before Martinez, who had 130 RBIs in the regular season, dropped a soft line drive in front of right fielder Yasiel Puig to score two more and give Boston a 4-2 lead.

The last 10 teams to win the first two games of the World Series, 16 of the last 17 teams, have gone on to win it all. And the NL West champions will need to do it against a team that has won six straight postseason games and five in a row on the road.

In a classic East vs West showdown, The Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers each have a long and storied history of greatness, making it one of the best world series in years.