Game 4 Yankees vs Red Sox

Game four ALDS

For my 17th birthday, I was given the privilege of attending the fourth game of the the Yankees vs Red Sox ALDS. Going into the game, the Red Sox were up 2-1 in the series. If they won this game, then they would advance to the ALCS and the Yankees would be left to watch at home, on their couches. During a super tough game 3 where the Yankees lost 16-1, Brock Holt became the first player EVER to hit for the cycle in the postseason. In over 150 years of postseason baseball, this has never happened. Yankees starter and so-called “ace” Luis Severino was shelled and taken out. The bullpen came in and struggled and the game ended 16-1. Tuesday night, game four. Yankees win, they force a game five. They lose, and the season is over. The first eight innings were incredibly uneventful for Yankee fans. Gary Sanchez scored on a sac-fly and the Yankees had four hits. The score was 4-1 going into the top of the ninth. Due to the fact that it was 11:30 pm on a Tuesday and the Yankees had almost no offense, fans began to leave. I’d say about 1/6th of the stadium had left. While the game was better than game three, it still wasn’t pretty.

Out of nowhere the song Don’t Stop Believing by Journey came on. The crowd that had felt suppressed for the majority of the night due to the lack of the Yankee’s offense was now on their feet singing along loudly. Almost everyone in the stadium was singing. When the song ended, the signature siren went off and flames were portrayed on every screen in the stadium. Thus, singling the entrance of Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman. Chapman holds the record for fastest pitch with a 105 mph fastball. Everyone was already on their feet but they erupted during Chapman’s walk from the pen to the mound. Chapman came in and had a 1-2-3 inning, setting up the Yankees for an eventful bottom of the ninth. The inning started off with an Aaron Judge walk. While a walk is not a big deal, everyone went nuts. We had a baserunner, there was life. Didi came up and ripped a base hit in between first and second. Two men on, tying run at the plate. Yankee stadium was erupting. Then, Stanton comes up. The man who will be paid 25+ million dollars a season for the next 13 seasons. The man brought in just to hit. The man brought in to get the Yankees their 28th World Series, struck out. But Yankee Stadium was unphased because the next batter, Luke Voit was walked to load the bases. Neil Walker, Yankee’s third baseman who backed up Andujar all year, comes up and gets hit by the first pitch and Aaron Judge gets walked home. It’s 4-2, bases loaded, 1 out, the bottom of the ninth, Yankees vs. Red Sox, elimination game. Everyone is out of their seats and going crazy. Gary Sanchez steps up to the plate and hits a sac fly deep to left field. Didi tags up and scores. The score is 4-3 with men on first and second with 2 outs. Unfortunately, the game and the Yankees season ended when second baseman Gleyber Torres hit a dribbler to third base and was thrown out at first. The game, as well as the Yankees season, had ended. The Red Sox dugout stormed the field and celebrated, they were moving onto the Pennant race against the Houston Astros. The Yankees really had too little too late.