Athlete of the Week- Cian Galligan

This week’s athlete of the week is senior captain of the Boy’s Varsity Cross Country team, Cian Galligan. Cian has been running track and cross country since freshman year and training every summer. This has led him to have a great relationship with his teammates and coach, Michael Szarkowicz. He has lead he Rye High School Boys Varsity Cross Country team to have a booming start to the season. They recently matched up against Brewster at their Bear Invitational. Cian pushed himself to run an astonishing 16:22 for 5000 meters, or 3.1 miles. He helped lead his runners to 2nd place finish overall. This has helped the team currently rank #4 in their section. Furthermore, they are ranked #21 in the state.

Coach Szarkowicz picked Cian to lead this years cross country team due to his leadership on and off the training grounds. Throughout high school, Cian has served 350 hours of community service. He is also apart of the National Honor Society and National Music Honor Society. Cian also received All-League Honors in Cross Country and Track last year. Cian clearly embodies all the necessities in order to be a great captain. When asked about qualities of Cian, teammate and friend Michael Liu commented, “Cian’s such a great guy. He’s not just good at running – Cian’s someone that you just want to be around. He’s kind, hilarious, and a great friend.”

As a captain, Cian has decided to continue an annual tradition, the end of the year team dinner. It’s a bittersweet moment that the whole team is looking forward to. They are going to reflect on their season, give out whimsical paper plate awards, and reflect on their time with the cross country program in the form of heartfelt speeches.

Cian is hoping to continue his athletic career in college. He has gone on a few official visits this summer and he intends on visiting a few more schools. He wants to ensure he finds the correct college with good programs before he makes any further decisions. However, as of now, he hopes to earn a top 5 finish at the Section 1 Championships and earn a place in the State Championship.