A Giant Disaster: What is Wrong with Big Blue?

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning (10) fumbles the ball after sliding head first in the third quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles during an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 13, 2009, in East Rutherford, N.J. The play was ruled a fumble and the Eagles recovered. (AP Photo/Henny Ray Abrams)   Original Filename: Eagles_Giants_Football_ERU116.jpg

Abrams/AP

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning (10) fumbles the ball after sliding head first in the third quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles during an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 13, 2009, in East Rutherford, N.J. The play was ruled a fumble and the Eagles recovered. (AP Photo/Henny Ray Abrams) Original Filename: Eagles_Giants_Football_ERU116.jpg

Chris Urban, Editor

On Thursday night the New York Giants were embarrassed on national television versus their arch-rival Philadelphia Eagles. If superstar rookie running back Saquon Barkley didn’t have incredible athletic abilities, the Giants might not have scored any points. Last year the Giants started the season with a 1-5 record. That same harsh reality has struck the Giants again this year, except with a lot more turmoil. Newly paid Odell Beckham Jr is causing trouble on and off the field. Eli Manning is constantly under pressure. The Giants defense has been “bend don’t break”, allowing opposing teams to score consistently. There are many questions and concerns surrounding this New York Giants roster. NFL fans are asking some critical questions. What’s the deal with Odell Beckham Jr? Is Eli Manning the biggest issue? Should Pat Shurmur be fired? How can this offensive line be this bad? Let’s delve deeper into why the New York Giants are 4th in the NFC East (1-5) despite having one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.

The greatest issue on the New York Giants is the offensive line. An old-time football saying goes, “you are only as good as your offensive line.” This statement cannot be truer especially with the New York Giants this season. In terms of pass blocking allowing Eli Manning to throw, they are league’s worst. Football is won at the line of scrimmage, and they are being dominated on 2nd and long and 3rd down passing situations. In week 4 vs the Carolina Panthers, the Giants did not convert any 3rd downs on offense, which is simply not winning football. The Giants posted a Pass Block Win Rate (PBWR) of only 5% last night. That’s the lowest single-game performance so far this season. Compare that to the Eagles’ PBWR of 68% last night. The Giants are now ranked 31st in the league overall with a PBWR of 33%. PBWR is an ESPN metric powered by NextGen Stats.

Eli Manning has had a fantastic career with the New York Giants winning two Super Bowls, but it is time to move on at this point in his career. I still believe Manning is a pretty good NFL quarterback but he has two traits along with the bad offensive line that is detrimental to the success of the Giants. The offensive line is poor, but a lot of sacks are due to his lack of mobility in the pocket. Eli Manning is arguably the most immobile quarterback in the NFL right now, and he has always had trouble fumbling the football throughout his career. Its a nightmare situation because you have an easily exploitable offensive line with a quarterback that fumbles and is immobile compared to this rest of the NFL.  These three crucial factors are leading to their lack of offensive production and is ultimately the biggest reason for their 1-5 record.

Odell Beckham Jr. is the highest paid wide receiver in the NFL at $95 million ($65 million guaranteed) for the next five NFL seasons. I’m not denying his talent, but I am questioning the Giants front office. Why do you sign a star receiver to a massive contract when he’s not a leader and causes issues within the team. Odell’s talent doesn’t mean much at all if the offensive line can’t give Eli time to throw to him. This has been Odell Beckham Jr’s least productive season so far in his five-year NFL career. In six NFL games, Odell Beckham Jr. has only one touchdown and is averaging 11.2 yards per catch, the lowest in his career. In Thursday night’s game vs the Eagles, Odell left the game before halftime looking frustrated while the Giants still were running plays on offense. His sideline antics of the past were brought to the forefront after he took out his frustration with the team on sidelines on Thursday, such as headbutting a cooling fan. Things are seemingly getting even worse within the team after Giants owner John Mara said, “I think he needs to do a little more playing and a little less talking,” regarding Beckham’s antics and low productivity this season. Odell Beckham Jr. does have the talent to overcome many of the Giants shortcomings on offense, but can he fix his lack of production and off the field antics?

Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. heading to the locker room prior to halftime against the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday Night Football