Electric Vehicles: The Future is Here Event

An exciting lecture to answer all your questions about electric vehicles.

As our weather becomes more volatile and alarm bells are raised about the ever-growing threat of climate change, many in the community are hoping to be a part of the solution.

Since fossil fuel emissions from cars have been clearly shown to be a factor contributing to climate change, many view electric cars as one of the best options to help to drastically reduce personal carbon footprints.

Despite the benefits of these cars, many people are apprehensive about them. They worry about the price, the reliability, and the ability to easily charge them. In order to answer many of these questions, the Rye Town Sustainability Initiative is holding a community event featuring an expert on sustainable vehicles.

Ron Kamen works at Sustainable Westchester, a group of more than 40 local municipalities focused on renewable energy and sustainability initiatives. Sustainable Westchester has been a major proponent of electric vehicles, even providing a special credit for certain electric cars.

Flyer on the electric vehicle event.

In his presentation, Mr. Kamen will discuss the variety of financial incentives that are available to lower the price of purchasing an electric vehicle. The combination of state and other credits, in addition to a night time charging incentive being offered by Con Edison, make electric vehicles comparable in price to many traditional vehicles.   

He will also provide information on the many benefits of electric vehicles, including no oil changes, and will engage in a conversation on how local families can make the switch to an electric vehicle without sacrificing convenience or reliability.

This event is part of the larger initiative of the Rye Town Sustainability Committee: to provide educational events featuring experts who can answer questions on a variety of topical issues pertaining to sustainability. Past events have included a talk on sustainable lawn care and a program highlighting the importance of worms in the composting process.

In addition to these events, the Town of Rye will also soon be unveiling an electric car charging station at Crawford Park in Rye Brook, which was financed by a State grant to increase sustainability. This charging station will provide a way for people with electric cars to easily charge their vehicle if they do not have a charging station at home.

Image result for electric vehicle charging station

Electric vehicle charging station

The increased local focus on electric vehicles is something that excites many students like Senior Lucien Overweel, who said,  “I’ve really noticed over the past few years the drastic increase in electric cars in Rye, and I think that it is really great that the local government is working hard to help people better understand the immense benefits of these vehicles”.

This electric vehicles event will take place on Thursday, October 11 at 7:00 pm at the Carver Center, 400 Westchester Ave, Port Chester.