Top 5 Landing Spots for Le’Veon Bell

The superstar running back is now on the trade block and with Khalil Mack’s holdout resulting in a trade from Oakland, could the same happen with Bell in Pittsburg?

The 3X Pro Bowler and 2X All Pro has officially been placed on the trading block and has not reported to team facilities yet this year after being placed on the franchise tag for two consecutive years. The franchise tag gave Bell $12.12 million last season. If he’s stays on it again in 2018, it would pay him $14.544 million. Le’Veon Bell has now missed four straight regular season games forfeiting $800,000 per game in one of the most complicated holdouts in NFL history. While being the second highest paid running back only behind Todd Gurley at $15 million per year, Bell is asking for full commitment from the Steelers and a record breaking deal. Is it really worth it? The Steelers removed Bell from their official depth chart and have now put him on the trade block making his future it Pittsburg murky. If the Steelers do indeed trade Le’Veon Bell here are the top 5 most logical teams who could acquire Bell this year and sign him in 2019:

1.) Indianapolis Colts

The resurgence of Andrew Luck has Colts fans believing that they have a chance to win the AFC South Division outright. Besides Luck and his go to wide receiver T.Y. Hilton the Colts have a subpar roster, lacking talent offensively. Their running back situation is quite complicated and is spearheaded by Nyheim Hines, Jordan Wilkins and Marlon Mack all who are late round picks respectively. Its an unpredictable and lackluster rushing attack, and Le’Veon Bell would immediately bolster their talent on offense. In addition, Le’Veon Bell is an elite receiving commodity as a running back catching more than 70 balls three out of five NFL seasons. The Colts are a meddling 1-3 team looking for identity but are a Le’Veon Bell away from being legit contenders.

How: Trade RB Nyheim Hines, First Round Pick.

Keeping Him Long Term:

The Indianapolis Colts have $123,211,855 in cap space in 2019, the most in the NFL by nearly $17 million. Owner Jim Irsay and the Colts could certainly pay Bell his desired NFL record breaking deal to keep him in Indy long term.

2.) New York Jets

There have been reports out of New York that the Jets have inquired the Pittsburgh Steelers about Le’veon Bell. Rookie quarterback Sam Darnold has showed flashes of being the franchise guy for the Jets. There’s no better way of helping your young QB out then acquiring a dynamic playmaking force out of the backfield. Again like the Colts, the Jets have a running back by committee lead by veterans Isiah Crowell and Bilal Powell. There meddling offense could really use some juice. Bell’s receiving ability could open up the offense and give Sam Darnold an elite check down option. Sitting at 1-3 currently on the season, trading for Le’Veon Bell signals movement towards salvaging the young season.

How: Trade RB Bilal Powell and a First round pick.

Keeping Him Long Term: The New York Jets have $106,490,157 in cap for 2019, second in the NFL. Owner Woody Johnson is known for craving elite NFL talent so signing Bell to a massive contract is certainly not out of the question.

3.) Houston Texans

Could you imagine an offense with Deshaun Watson, DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller AND Le’Veon Bell. The scary part is they can actually do it. The Texans are lead by star quarterback Deshaun Watson but besides Hopkins and Fuller at wide receiver, Watson has little help. The Texans for the past two years under Watson have been near last in the NFL in rushing yards and attempts. Some games Watson outruns running back Lamar Miller on far less attempts. If the Texans acquire Le’Veon Bell and commit more to the run, the Texans offense becomes much more balanced and unpredictable. Although Hopkins and Fuller are great deep threats at wide receiver, Watson struggles to find a security blanket receiving option and Bell can certainly be that guy. The 1-3 Texans have great potential with acquiring Bell, possibly becoming the most potent offense in the NFL

How: Trade S Tyrann Mathieu and a Second Round Pick.

Keeping Him Long Term: The Texans sit at fourth in the NFL in 2019 free cap space $87,007,882. Owner Robert McNair can get it done and sitting at 1-3 the Texans can pull the trigger on a long term deal on Bell

4.)  Buffalo Bills

The Bills, lead by rookie quarterback Josh Allen, desperately need a spark plug on offense. They have one in LeSean McCoy but he has yet to be heavily involved in the offense. Although McCoy is still a great running back in the NFL today, he is not Le’Veon Bell. Bell would instantly become a top receiving option and would help Allen out greatly with his playmaking ability. Like Darnold in New York, Allen needs an elite screen/check down option in order to take pressure away from himself. Heck, Bell can even split out wide and be a productive wide receiver, something the Bills have not had for years. Whether its grounding out 6 yards, hurdling defenders or snatching 8 balls a game Le’Veon Bell would receive a massive and productive workload in Buffalo. The 1-3 Bills could use any help they can get on offense, and Le’Veon Bell is a franchise changing superstar.

How: Trade RB LeSean McCoy, Second Round Pick.

Keeping Him Long Term:  Owner Terry Pegula and the Bills sit at third in the NFL in cap space in 2019 with $89,952,769. It may be costly but if the Bills want elite established offensive talent they can bring Bell aboard on a multi-year deal, replacing the older McCoy.

5.)  Detroit Lions

The Lions up until last week had gone 70 consecutive games without an 100 yard rusher in a game since Reggie Bush’s 117 yards in 2013. Think about that, FIVE years without 100 yards on the ground. To counter the putrid running game over the past five years the Lions have heavily relied on an potent aerial attack led by gunslinger quarterback Matthew Stafford. Although the statistics may sway you, Stafford is not an elite quarterback. It would greatly help the offense as a whole to have a steady rushing attack and calling the services of Bell would be a fantastic start. Kerryon Johnson, the Lions promising rookie running back, has showed some flashes, but he is nowhere near Bell’s track record as an elite versatile weapon in the backfield. Bell would immediately add fuel to the already fiery Lions offense but would most importantly bring much needed experience and pass catching ability to take pressure of Matthew Stafford. The 1-3 Lions have potential to be a good team but if they really want to turn heads they should definitely inquire the Steelers about Bell.

How: Trade RB Kerryon Johnson and a Second Round Pick.

Keeping Him Long Term:  The Detroit Lions sit at 12th in the NFL at $47,923,154 in 2019 cap space. The Lions would certainly take a hit for future investments although acquiring Bell offers much needed experience and talent to this Lions squad long term.