Filed under Food, Showcase

Review: Food in Italy

Does Italy's food live up to its reputation?

Review: Food in Italy

A view of Positano (My Picture)

A view of Positano (My Picture)

A view of Positano (My Picture)

A view of Positano (My Picture)

Everyone says that Italian food is amazing. But is it actually? I traveled to Italy this summer and now have the ability to share my thoughts. Spoiler alert: Yes, it was very good.

(If you’re expecting a pizza review, then you might want to stop reading. Even Italy can’t get me to eat pizza. I hate it.)

Here’s a detailed review of my newfound knowledge of Italian food:

Breakfast:

(Credit to Francesco Sapienza)
A typical Italian breakfast consists of a pastry and cappuccino.

Honestly, breakfast was terrible. Unless you like croissants and Nutella, you’re out of luck. I like neither, so as you could imagine, breakfast was a daily struggle. I don’t love breakfast to begin with, but I especially hated it in Italy. At our hotel in Sorrento, the options were better because it was a British hotel (think bacon, eggs, fruit), but in Rome, I didn’t really eat anything.

Review: 1 out of 5 stars

Pro tip: If you don’t like Nutella, don’t count on having breakfast. You won’t find anything without Nutella.

Gelato:

My first time eating Italian gelato. This flavor is cioccolato fondente. (My Picture)

Throughout most of our vacation, we were walking around Rome or relaxing on a boat in the Amalfi Coast, so we didn’t have time to sit down and eat lunch. Instead, we would grab gelato and eat it on the go. And it was amazing. Like truly amazing. I recommend the cioccolato fondente (dark chocolate) and caffe (coffee). Although each store had such a wide range of flavors, I couldn’t be bothered to try anything else because I was so content with the flavors I had already tried.

Review: 10 out of 5 stars

Pro tip: Ask the locals what their favorite gelato places are. They KNOW.

Dinner:

The best thing about Italy (especially Rome) is that you know that every restaurant is going to have incredible food. Likewise, the hardest part about Italy is having to chose which restaurant to go to because, again, every restaurant is going to have incredible food. I never had a bad dinner in Italy. What I ate in Rome was very different from what I ate in the Amalfi Coast, so I’m going to review them separately.

Rome: Every night in Rome, I ate pasta. And let me clarify that Italian pasta is so much better than regular pasta. So much better. As much as I loved every meal I ate, I tried to never repeat my order so that I could get the full Italian pasta experience. The pastas I ordered go as following: cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper), bucatini all’Amatriciana (tomato sauce and bacon), pasta alla gricia (cheese and bacon), and spaghetti pomodoro with meatballs (tomato sauce). Each meal was savory and flavorful in its own way. A side of warm bread with olive oil creates the perfect authentic Roman meal.

Review: 5 out of 5 stars

Pro tip: Nothing you order here will be bad. You are eating the best food in the world, so be sure to try a lot!

Amalfi Coast: By the time we reached the Amalfi Coast (Positano and Sorrento), I was a bit sick of pasta, after having eaten it nonstop for five days. At this point, I was in need of something else. The best meal I ate in both Positano and Sorrento was grilled lemon chicken. Since lemons are native to the Amalfi Coast, my meal tasted so fresh and delicious. Although not quite as good as the food in Rome, the food in the Amalfi Coast was still top-notch.

Review: 4 out of 5 stars

Pro tip: Make sure to order something with lemon. Side note: If you want pizza, eat it here since Sorrento is so close to Naples. I didn’t eat it, but the general consensus amongst my family was that Sorrento pizza was the best.

Dessert:

Tiramisu (Credit to Eating Europe)

Gelato is not the only good dessert that Italy has, although it is the best. Almost as good as gelato was the tiramisu. I ordered it at the airport in Rome after the flight from New York, and I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious it was. Yes, you read the right. The airport. Italian food is just so good that even their airport food is amazing. American airports have Dunkin’ Donuts and convenience stores while Italian airports have world-class desserts. You tell me what’s better.

Review: 5 out of 5 stars

Pro tip: It’s acceptable to eat dessert as many times as you want a day when it’s as good as Italian desserts. Some days I had gelato twice.

Perhaps the best part of Italian cuisine is the portion size. Unlike in America where you’re given your body weight in food at a restaurant, Italian restaurants give you the perfect portion. It’s enough food that you aren’t starving, but not enough that you feel disgusting and bloated. This allows you to feel less guilty about getting dessert or ordering multiple meals because you’re given less food to begin with. You’ll leave the restaurant feeling great.

If you ever have the chance to go to Italy, go! Not only is the food out of this world, but the country itself is fascinating. I can’t wait to go back one day and be reunited with my favorite dark chocolate gelato. Until then, American ice cream will do.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Review: Food in Italy”

1. Deirdre Macdonald on September 28th, 2018 2:10 pm

This made me hungry and miss Italy! Great review!

2. Doug Macdonald on October 2nd, 2018 10:06 pm

This made me very hungry….for pizza.

3. Jill Hooper on October 23rd, 2018 8:14 pm

I enjoyed your Italian Food Review very much Grace. I have been to Rome and Positano and have enjoyed the food also although France is still my No.1. However, the scenery on the Amalfi Coast is so beautiful that I would even enjoy pizza there. I hope I return there some day to sample the tiramisu. It is a wonderful place for lemons and limoncello. Keep writing.

4. Joan Phillips de Vives on October 26th, 2018 6:39 pm

Great write up Grace.! I have never been to Italy, but feel I know it as so many people I know have enjoyed wonderful times there. However I do hope to go myself one day.
    I’m glad you enjoyed it so much, and found the Italian food as good as you did. Made my mouth water imagining it!

I lived in Spain for ten years. You’d enjoy that too!

• Review: Food in Italy

Food

French Food Review

• Food

Emmet and Jasper ask: What is Your Favorite Gatorade Flavor

• Review: Food in Italy

Food

Best BEC: Rye vs Westchester

• Review: Food in Italy

Food

The Best Bacon Egg and Cheese in Rye

• Review: Food in Italy

Food

Unpopular Opinion of a Bacon Egg and Cheese

• Review: Food in Italy

Food

The Signature Hot Chocolate

• Food

Sunrise Pizza Review (Garnet mine)

• Food

Piazza Pizza Review (Garnet mine)

• Food

Emmet and Jasper Ask: “Favorite Pizza Place in Rye?”

• Review: Food in Italy

Food

The History Behind the Bacon Egg and Cheese

Review: Food in Italy