Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The Fight for Gun Control Part 2

We need change fast.

Photo credit to KHOU.com

Photo credit to KHOU.com

Two and a half months ago I wrote an article titled, “The Fight for Gun Control.” Obviously an article written by a high school sophomore in a small town isn’t going to be a catalyst for change, so I wasn’t expecting my article to make a difference, but I was hoping that the nationwide awareness would. For about a month after the Parkland shooting, change seemed possible. There were marches and student activists and talk amongst politicians, but that was all talk. Here we are again a few months later with another shooting resulting in ten more innocent people having to be buried prematurely.

This was Saturday’s cover of the Daily News. It’s shocking and horrifying to say the least. Photo credit to the Houston Chronicle.

I was in health class on Friday when a friend of mine announced that there had been a school shooting in Texas. My immediate reaction was, “How many are dead?” The fact that hearing news like this has become familiar and unsurprising is a problem in itself. Shootings have become normal in America; how strange is it that we are no longer surprised when a gunman walks into a school and kills a bunch of students? As of May 22, there have been 22 school shootings this year (CNN). Keep in mind that we’re not even halfway through 2018.

A memorial outside of Santa Fe High School after Friday’s shooting. Photo from ABC News.

Politicians need to be better. They need to do more to protect our kids. After news broke of the shooting on Friday, President Trump’s initial tweet was, “School shooting in Texas. Early reports not looking good. God bless all!” Not only does the ill-placed exclamation point make the tweet insensitive, it does nothing to address how the Trump administration will combat this problem, if they do anything at all. At a press conference later in the day, Trump added, “My administration is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves and to others.” As much as I want to be happy by this statement, I cannot. This just sounds like another empty promise from a president who was on stage at the NRA Convention two weeks ago. Until I see change, I will not believe Trump.

The students and teachers who were murdered on Friday. Photo credit to ABC13 Houston.

Hopefully the deadly shooting at Santa Fe High School, only an hour from the very safe town of West University where I once lived, will spark even more conversation so that the 10 students and teachers killed don’t die in vain. It’s up to us to continue using our voices, so we can be heard.