Track Events To Know

Have you ever been to a track meet before? Many people always ask what events they can do in this fantastic sport. if you ever go to a meet here are some of the events that people on the team participate in.

Running events

• sprints (100m, 200m, 400m): These races involve a lot of speed and agility its all about your times down to the millisecond.
  • middle distance (800m, 1500m): In these events your speed and endurance really comes out’ its all about keeping your pace while maintaining a strong speed in order to get the fast time.
  • long distance (3000m Steeplechase, 5000m, 10,000m): These races aren’t just for anyone these events take a lot of skill and practice because its about pacing yourself and having strong stamina. Without it you’ll fail and not complete the race.
  • hurdles (110/100m, 400m): Hurdles are one of the toughest events for running. This event requires a lot of leg strength and flexibility because when you get to more competitive meets they get higher and higher meaning more flexibility and speed.
  • relays (4x100m, 4x400m): In the relays its not an individual race were all you got to worry about is just yourself. this event is a team event of the fastest guys trying to get the fastest time as a team it requires teamwork, speed, and timing with your hand off’s of the baton with out all these requirements the team fails and and you lose the race.

Jumping events

• Long Jump: Jumping in long jump isn’t easy but its definitely fun. This event requires a lot of leg strength and feet coordination. Long jump is tough because you only have a limited amount of running space and a very  small block to jump from.
  • High Jump: High jump requires great jumping capabilities in order to compete.  You must jump straight in the air and must clear a bar that is usually five feet tall with out touching the bar.
  • Triple Jump: Triple jump is one of the trickiest events to compete along side of pole vault because this requires your legs to extend three times and must hit your practiced spot exactly in order to get the farthest distance in to the sand.
  • Pole Vault: Pole vault is by far the hardest event to do in all of track this event requires a strong upper body to lift your body over a ten foot tall beam with a aluminum pole. The trickiest part about this event is clearing the pole once your up in the air if you miss you trajectory.

Throwing events

• Discus: Discus by far is the best event in all of track in my opinion this event requires a lot of technique and balance but its the fun. When you compete there are many good competitors who you will go up against with and this sport doesn’t require size or strength anybody can do it.
  • Shot Put: Shot put is a strength driven event this requires a lot of shoulder strength to launch a 12 pound metal ball into the air and land in a strong distance from the circle.
  • Javelin: Although this event isn’t run a lot at Rye it still is a great event in track if you never have heard of javelin well the javelin a spear about 2.5 m (8 ft 2 in) in length, is thrown. The Javelin thrower gains momentum by running within a scoring range.