Rampage: Movie Review

The official movie poster

The official movie poster

The official movie poster

The official movie poster

Rampage: Movie Review

Generic Blockbuster Film is Partially Saved by Dwayne Johnson

May 3, 2018

It seems as if Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson doesn’t sleep. In the year 2017 alone, Johnson starred in The Fate of the Furious (which went on to gross over $1 billion at the worldwide box office), Baywatch and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (which grossed over $900 million worldwide). Additionally, he starred on the hit HBO series, Ballers. In the year 2018, he stars in Rampage, a summer blockbuster titled Skyscraper, and an upcoming drama titled Fighting with My Family. I don’t know how he does it.

While Johnson has proved time and time again that he can lead an action movie to lots of success, the quality of the films tend to be hit or miss. Unfortunately, Rampage is more of a miss than a hit.

Characters Davis Okoye (played by Dwayne Johnson) and Dr. Kate Caldwell (played by Naomie Harris)

The film follows Dwayne Johnson as a primatologist named Davis Okoye who shares a bond with a rare albino gorilla named George. George, once a gentle ape, soon turns into a dangerous creature when a rogue genetic experiment goes wrong. From there on, action and destruction ensues.

Rampage is the type of movie that you can just turn on in the background while you’re doing another task, and tune in and out of. You can simply “turn your brain off,” and enjoy watching the mildly entertaining action sequences unfold.

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as the lead role, aside George the gorilla

The biggest problem with the film is the cringeworthy dialogue. The one-liners are laughably bad, making it hard to watch at a few moments. Dwayne Johnson is such a charismatic lead character that it pains me to see him stuck with such a poor script. All the supporting cast is very forgettable, and Dwayne Johnson is really the only character you will even remember.

The film’s running time is an hour and 47 minutes. This isn’t long at all for an action movie, which completely works in Rampage‘s favor. With lots of the movie being exposition and character development leading up to all the action, I thought the film did a good job making the action sequences not overlong and more worth it.

George the gorilla transforms into an enormous monster

Senior Andy Dabinett said, “I thought the film was nothing special, but Dwayne Johnson definitely kept me engaged. He is easily the hardest working actor of our generation.”

Senior Gavin Kenny stated, “I appreciated the movie for it’s cool action sequences and for The Rock’s performance, but overall the film was mediocre.”

The movie is not worth recommending to see in the theatre, but if you catch it on television one time I wouldn’t discourage it. I would give Rampage a 5/10.

The Garnet Mine • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in