Morning APUSH Review Causes Chaos

Why are so many people so eager to get up at 7 am?

April 23rd marked the beginning of the 7 a.m. AP U.S. History review sessions in preparation for the coming AP exam. Last Friday APUSH teacher “Shark” warned his classes that these review sessions were no joke– if you don’t arrive early you shouldn’t expect to get a seat. Yeah sure, I thought, there’s no way that many people will show up this early on a Monday. Well, I shouldn’t have underestimated the sheer lengths that Rye High students will go to in hopes of receiving a high score. I arrived at school at promptly seven and the empty hallways lead me to believe that hardly anyone would be at the review. As I rounded the corner towards the APUSH classroom, I heard the dreaded movement of desks and realized just how many people were here. The room was absolutely packed even though I was on time. Kids were standing, no seats remained, take-out coffees and bagels lined each desk. Everyone’s face was slightly colored in fear– partly because of the daunting task of getting up that early every day and partly due to the daunting task of the AP.

The stakes were high. There was a general sense of urgency in the room, for the journey ahead would bring out true colors. We were doing God’s work, but it’s no biggy. Junior Natalie Swartz said, “Uhhgggggg. It’s hard. Sometimes you understand, sometimes you let it go.”

Not everyone will come out victorious, but maybe, just maybe, one kid will get a 5. Junior Alex Kirk said, “Although I need a large coffee to get through them, they are invaluable in terms of studying for the AP.”

There are multiple waves of kids. First comes the 6:45 crowd, who are completely devoted to the best selection of seats. Next comes the main crowd, arriving on time, who sweep up the remaining seats. After that comes the breakfast crowd, the people who scooped up coffees and bagels before the hour-long review but sacrificed seats. Lastly comes the late crowd, who are maybe lucky enough to find seats on the floor. Shark said, “There are so many students, I’m out of seats.”

A whole week later the early morning crowd still hasn’t been deterred, in fact, there are more students than ever. APs are around the corner and students are more desperate than ever to retain information. Rumor has it that the afternoon review sessions are running so late that they’re blending into the morning ones. When asked her opinion on these review sessions, Junior Molly Broderick said, poignantly, “Hell.”

As we drifted through the early 19th century this Monday morning, many kids stared aimlessly into space. These Apush reviews often provoked kids to ask themselves life’s big questions such as “Where am I going?” and “What is my purpose?” Today marked Junior Lara Martin’s first early morning review and she was shocked. “The rumors are true. The intensity was concerning; I’m not sure I’m cut out for this lifestyle.”

It’s true, morning review is not for the faint of heart and I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a Lifetime movie produced about it in the near future. The competition to become the most dedicated APUSH savant is fierce. So if you see an APUSH kid in the hallway today give them a nod for their bravery, and if you see the preacher himself, Shark, thank him for his true devotion to his students.