Filed under Showcase, The Arts

The Week in Pop Culture 4/22/18-4/28/18

Tragic deaths and exciting births: this week has it all.

The Week in Pop Culture 4/22/18-4/28/18

Remembering Avicii

Avicii during a performance. Photo from E! News.

The world was shocked on Friday when it was announced that DJ Tim Bergling, better known by his stage name Avicii, is dead at 28. One of the most recognized people in EDM, Avicii had been in failing health for years as a result of excessive drinking, but no one anticipated his death. In 2016, he retired from performing after suffering from health problems and anxiety, but vowed to continue making music. Tragically, his life was cut short less than two years later. Tributes poured in for the Grammy-nominated musician from both fans and celebrities alike. Calvin Harris, the world’s highest paid DJ of 2017, tweeted out his condolences, saying, “Devastating news about Avicii, a beautiful soul, passionate and extremely talented with so much more to do. My heart goes out to his family. God bless you Tim.” Avicii’s contributions to EDM and the music industry will be remembered for a long time.

Royal Birth

Kate and William introduce their new baby a mere eight hours after he was born. Photo from Hello Magazine.

On Monday, April 23, Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, gave birth to her third child at St. Mary’s Hospital in London. The child, a boy, is now fifth in line to the throne, pushing Prince Harry back into sixth. The birth of this child, whose name has yet to be announced, represents a big change in the royal lineage. In the past, the birth of a boy would mean that he would overtake his older sister in the line of succession, but because of the Succession to the Crown Act of 2013, Princess Charlotte gets to keep her place. Not much is known about the new royal baby as of now, although the official Kensington Palace Twitter account tweeted out that “Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.”

Ariana Grande Returns

The cover art of Ariana Grande’s new single, “No Tears Left to Cry.” Photo from Variety.

After a hard year, Ariana Grande has returned to the music industry with a new single called “No Tears Left to Cry.” This song is her first in over a year, after she took a year-long break. Her break came after the horrific terrorist attack at her Manchester concert that left 22 people dead. Grande was praised for her response to the attack when she hosted a benefit concert, called One Love Manchester, in the British city only two weeks later; over $13 million was raised, according to Time. She also donated free tickets to anyone at the May 22 concert, and visited injured fans in the hospital. At the end of her new music video for “No Tears Left to Cry,” a bee flew around the screen, which is very symbolic to the city of Manchester. Grande’s triumphant return is a perfect example of how to come back from hardship.