A Quiet Place: Movie Review

A Quiet Place: Movie Review

Horror Film Delivers on the Scares

April 23, 2018

A Quiet Place first came on my radar when it earned rave reviews out of the acclaimed film festival, SXSW, back in March. For about a month leading up to the film’s release, A Quiet Place held a 100% on rotten tomatoes, similar to when Get Out first came out.

What peaked my interest the most about the film was that it had been directed by John Krasinski (known for his role as Jim from The Office.) Not only did he direct the film, but he co-stars in it with his real-life wife Emily Blunt.

John Krasinski as Jim, on the NBC sitcom “The Office.”

A Quiet Place is an unconventional horror film. Taking place in the year 2020, Earth is now a desolate and dreary society with most of the population wiped out. John Krasinski and Emily Blunt portray husband and wife as they struggle to protect their family in a world where all they can do is communicate through sign language as they are being hunted by creatures who will immediately kill if they hear sound. As a result, the film relies on lots of expression and sign language, with little speaking dialogue.

I would definitely recommend A Quiet Place, but just a disclaimer– it is very different than the mainstream horror films that come out today. While there are jump scares and loud booms, there is no over-the-top violence and gore like a Saw or Final Destination movie. Instead, A Quiet Place is filled with loads of tension and suspense, in which you could hear a pin drop in the movie theatre because of how quiet the film is. The movie really is a “thrill-ride” as you are filled with adrenaline throughout.

Krasinski instructing his son in the film to not make a sound

John Krasinski deserves most of the credit here, as he created such a well-crafted and lived in world as director of the film. There is lots of potential for a sequel here, and I would love to explore the world that A Quiet Place embodies once more. If this is now a trend that comedy actors are now turning to directing horror films (Jordan Peele, John Krasinski) then I am completely on board.

Emily Blunt (John Krasinski’s wife in real life) does an excellent job leading the film. Her character endures lots of stress and emotional pain throughout, as she is pregnant and has to fear giving birth without making a single noise. The particular scene where she does give birth is single handedly one of the most stressful movie moments I have seen in a while.

Blunt’s character attempting to give birth without making a single noise

Like most horror movies, A Quiet Place frustrates you as a viewer when witnessing the mistakes and decisions characters make on screen. Unfortunately, one character in particular bothered me to the point where it became a problem as the film began to wrap up. Additionally, some characters make decisions that make little sense and are completely unrealistic. But in a film that is only 90 minutes long, there is so much that is going on that it is easy to brush off a few flaws.

As a whole, A Quiet Place is one of the better horror films I have seen in a while. There is so much potential for the world that has been created, and I wouldn’t be surprised if A Quiet Place turns into a whole franchise. While the film had some flaws, it definitely is worth recommending and I would give it a solid 7.5/10.

The Garnet Mine • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in