Trouble in the Temp Lot

Ella Garnett, Editor

About 50-100 people park in the temp lot each day- that’s a lot of cars.  These students are paying a considerable amount of money to park there- but is it worth it? If you ask around Rye High, one of the main complaints is that the temp lot isn’t sufficient. It’s filled with litter. It’s used as a snow lot. It’s too expensive. It isn’t big enough. It’s too far away. These are among the main complaints heard from people about the temp lot. Are there things we can all do to improve it? Here is a discussion of the issues and various opinions on the matter.

One of the most pressing issues, and the one we can do the most about, is the litter. Many students are disgusted by all the garbage accumulating there, but many students have also contributed to the problem. Junior Natalie Swartz said, “Too dirty. It is disappointing that people litter so much.” The Eco club is planning on cleaning the temp lot this week, and if you park your car there you should consider helping out! Not only does the garbage clog up the temp lot, but it is contaminating the brook. As earth day approaches, this is something small we can do for our local environment while also improving the temp lot. The Eco club hopes to encourage people to recycle more in the future and be more considerate of the temp lot.

The next problem with the temp lot is that it also doubles as a snow lot. Students are paying money each semester to park there, but, in the case of heavy snow the spots are lost. Now this may sound trivial, but as a school that offers no district transportation or bussing, it is important that students have a place to park.  On winter days where the snow is piled high, it can be very hard for students to find a place to park and make it to school on time. Junior Jessica Molitor said, “It’s definitely a huge concern for me in the winter. I never know if I’ll have a place to park or not.” Maybe it’s time to start offering buses to students in the winter months? As long as students are paying to park, is it really fair to take the spots away from them?

Some students complain that the temp lot isn’t close enough to even be useful.  Many students prefer the temp lot because of the guaranteed parking but some students argue that they mine as well find street parking because of how far away the temp lot is. You can either buy a spot in the temp lot and walk a fair bit to school, or you can get up increasingly earlier every day in order to get a spot even close to the school. Junior Lara Martin said, “It’s too far. Pick it up and move it closer to the school. Let’s park on the turf and play sports on the temp lot!” Lara Martin. She offers a fair point. For many students, it makes more sense to just walk to school, as the whole parking issue is too much of a hassle. Junior Amber Hufford said, “I’d never park in the temp lot. The walk from my house to the school is probably shorter than the walk from the temp lot to the school.”

So is the temp lot really efficient? Maybe there are more effective ways to transport ourselves to school. Not to mention all these cars arriving each morning are pretty awful for the environment.  As of now, we need to focus on cleaning up the litter in the temp lot. Lastly, Junior Delucia Lepore said, “Don’t park under the tree side. Twice branches fell on my windshield and cracked it. Twice.” Yeah, so no matter what, don’t do that.

1 Comment

One Response to “Trouble in the Temp Lot”

1. greg hefley on April 18th, 2018 9:49 am

I like Temp Lot how it is.

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

The Fight for Gun Control Part 2

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

Violence in Today’s Society: Movies About War

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

The Problems With Comey’s New book

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

March For Our Lives: NYC

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

Good Grades At What Cost?

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

Ranking the Rye High School Cafeteria’s Grill Options

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

The media’s complicity in the Russian scam

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

The Fight For Gun Control

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

The State of our Union is… Divided

• Trouble in the Temp Lot

Opinion

How to Stay Comfortable in the Cold

Trouble in the Temp Lot